• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Muffler inlet goes into cat outlet correct?

995speed

NAXJA Forum User
I'm putting in a flowmaster 40 in my 99 XJ with a 4.0 and an AX-15 my girlfriend is helping aka holding it while i clamp it in place and etc. She's insisting that im putting it in wrong because im putting the muffler inlet into the cat outlet shes telling me when her cousin worked on her car and replaced the muffler he did it outlet to outlet now i dont know a whole lot about mufflers but im pretty sure she is wrong so i said fine ill go onto NAXJA and ill prove to you that i am doing it right and that once im done with my jeep im going to have to fix what your cousin did cause its wrong so basically am correct I to be putting the muffler inlet into the cat outlet and more importantly is she wrong?

wierd, alot of mufflers are the same either way but I wouldnt listen to her haha.

hahaha cat out goes to muffler inlet that means exhaust is going into the muffler...then tail pipe goes to muffler outlet that means exhaust is coming OUT of the muffler to the tale pipe

Don't know about your muffler but I think you just won the daily prize for the longest sentence with no punctuation! LOL

You might not want to flat out tell your girlfriend she is wrong but you could ask her nicely if her cousin by chance flunked English comprehension in high school.

got a pictures? try rotating the muffler the other way

yeah thats what i did it hit the frame a couple of times until i straightened it out properly but now its all good at least it will keep the cops off my ass. now that that is fixed i can try and think of a way to fix the sagging headliner next..... it never ends

A proper muffler for the Jeep Cherokee application should have an off set inlet and centered outlet. If its hitting the driveshaft she is probably right and you should take advice from her. Nowadays you can find all this info on the internet before you come here and start an incoherent rambling.

Clearly you forgot to install new muffler bearings between the two when you had it apart

A proper muffler for the Jeep Cherokee application should have an off set inlet and centered outlet. If its hitting the driveshaft she is probably right and you should take advice from her. Nowadays you can find all this info on the internet before you come here and start an incoherent rambling.

it does have a centered outlet and and offset inlet i solved the muffler hitting the driveshaft issue by simply turning the muffler over.

I had the same problem, i flipped the muffler over so i doesn't hit the drive shaft. now it rubs the frame rail. i hit it with a BFH, that didn't help the problem but it made me feel better.

mine rubbed the driveshaft on occasions but i left it and never noticed except for the shiny spot on the driveshaft.

Back