• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help!

KhaosXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone, gonna be a little bit of a story so bare with me. I bought my 1997 Cherokee back in March. Ive had 3 of them now and not once have I had this issue with a jeep before. I bought the jeep and had a 3 hour drive back home, made it half way stopped to eat went to start the jeep eoth nothing but a bunch or hard turnovers. Finally I got it started. Once it was started I would just tap the gas, it would bog down to about 250rpms then rev up to about 2k, if I put my foot on the gas as if i was ready to start moving forward it would die. I replaced the IAC, MAP, TPS and fuel pump/filter, camshaft position sensor, crankshaft position sensor and it ran fine until yesterday when the same exact thing happened. I would try and take off and it died on me. I got a buddy of mine to tow me home while I got the jeep to run, as soon as i got it to the destination I touched the gas and it was perfect. I ran 70 all 13 miles back home like it wasnt a issue. What could this possibly be? I am at the end of my knowledge and aboit to loose it. Any imput would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

That is not typical O2 sensor symptoms, however testing the O2 sensors is easy enough.

KhaosXJ is, or was, the Check Engine Light (CEL) ON ? What CEL trouble codes are/were present ? Have you looked the live OBD data with a scanner or smart phone app ?

The symptoms might make one suspect low battery voltage, have you Load Tested the Battery and the Alternator ?

Have you inspected/cleaned/snugged all the ground connections, battery/alternator connections, and all the under the hood wire plugs ?

Did you install genuine Jeep OBD engine sensors ?

Are ALL the tune-up parts fresh ? Have you tested the igniton coil ?

Have you tested the fuel pressure ?

That is not typical O2 sensor symptoms, however testing the O2 sensors is easy enough.

KhaosXJ is, or was, the Check Engine Light (CEL) ON ? What CEL trouble codes are/were present ? Have you looked the live OBD data with a scanner or smart phone app ?

The symptoms might make one suspect low battery voltage, have you Load Tested the Battery and the Alternator ?

Have you inspected/cleaned/snugged all the ground connections, battery/alternator connections, and all the under the hood wire plugs ?

Did you install genuine Jeep OBD engine sensors ?

Are ALL the tune-up parts fresh ? Have you tested the igniton coil ?

Have you tested the fuel pressure ?

Thank you for the imput I really appreciate it. I will be checking grounds and the ignition coil today. All parts I have replaces have been Bosch oem parts. The CEL has not come on at all. And being stationed in minot nd my recorces for current obd readers and scanners are very limited up here.

I 2nd this sounding like a voltage problem. The system can be very picky about low voltage and given the fact you had hard turn over makes it sound even more like it.

Back