• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stroker Build

missionstroker

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of obtaining a 87-90 Renix block which I plan to stroke. My only issue is that I dont know how to build a stroker. I recognize that there is a great deal of knowledge that you must have to build a stroker. so I have searched these pages and there is a whole bunch of good information. however its really scattered and there is not really one complete source. so is there a link, post, or book that I can buy/look at to read up on what I am going to need to know for this endeavor. I want this to be a summer project because I dont think they are going to let me build this engine in my college dorm:bs:. I have a copy of John Lawlor's auto math handbook, but I dont think that has enough detail to build up a stroker, however that book is great. Any guidance is appreciated. :cheers:

Thanks guys thoes links look like they are really going to help alot.

Is it more common to buy a whole stroker kit, or assemble your own to your specifications when stroken the 4.0L. If a kit is usually the way to go where should I begin looking?

IM doing a stroker in the spring. However I'm just buying mine from Custom Design Performance... http://www.cdpautomachine.com/engines/jeep4_6L_stroker_265hp_longblock.html

However you are going to want...

A complete 2.5" exhaust including a header
24lb fuel injectors, get them from a Mustang like these
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/24LB-Ford-Racing-Fuel-Injectors-Mustang-FMS-LT1_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33554QQihZ017QQitemZ270193643405QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Then you want a better ignition kit, im doing the DUI Firepower Ignition
http://www.acmejeepparts.com/products/17610_60X_PG.htm

I am also doing a 3 core radiator, which I already own, and a 136A Altenator which I already have.

Im doing a tranny cooler.

You want a cold air intake, and preferably a 99 Intake manifold and you need a 62MM throttle body.

Im getting my throttle body here..
http://jeepersandcreepers.com/client/Products.php?prokey=261

On the driveshaft you want U-bolts not the little straps they use. Someone on Naxja told me about that, and to be honest I didnt even think of that but it makes a ton of sence. Most strokers put almost 300lbs of Torque so thats a great idea.

Anyways, just ask questions and read the threads here. I have a stroker thread here like 10 posts down and there is a good amount of info there as well.

right now this task seems very daunting. i think I can do it but i dont yet have the knowledge. and as far as machining goes i dont even know what to do other than balance everything, make sure your lengths are correct, and if anything needs to be ground down have that done.

what year has the best block to use.

no im not taking the easy way out. plus thats i could put one together for less than that.

are there machine shops that specialize in this machining for strokers? maybe they could give me some guidence.

Dont get the Titan motor. My friend had a brand new Titan 4.0 blow a hole in the cylinder wall, the connecting rod broke right off. He was on the highway doing about 65-70. Talk about a let down. motor only had about 8K on it.

Guys, this is really not that hard to do. If you can pull the old one apart you can put the new one back together. ok:

I used a 1992 block
1987 crank and rods - remachined
new oilpan that I then proceded to hammermassage to fit the oil pump
1991 head, buddy recut the valves and shimmed the springs to the correct height
2000 intake
junkyard exhaust
used my 1991 camshaft cause I couldnt find a better one.

bored sixty over
used badger pistons
premium rings

runs great, no leaks, fired right up. I have had to up the heat range on my spark plugs. Not sure the 24lb injectors are right though, I am still running a bit rich.
Total build cost was less than $1700

dont let it overwhelm you, it is really not that difficult of a task.

btw, for all those who say it will break, I have over 8K on the clock as of right now.

Its rather simple once you get your beaings straight. My build thread on here goes over alot of things not to do. I seem to of run into every problem possible in my journey for perfection and budget.

Either go for a 200,000 mile motor which represents perfections
or
Go for 80,000 miles which represent budget.

Either way thats along time since I travel 10k miles a year.

Just dont skimp out on the parts that have alot of use. Get arp rod bolts. A good machinist with DeskTop Dyno and some mearsuring devices. Dont skimp on the machinist. Youll realise after paying the cheaper guy that youd only spend 200 more to have the good guy work on your engine.

But as I sent you in the PM the basics of a stroker is 4.0 block and head with a 4.2 crank and rods. The rest is personal taste. Some people like the stock cam some down. Some want a better breather so we get chevy 350 valave. Some want more power so they add a forced induction system or N2O.

But before you order pistons get a set in mind and see what their over bore sizes are. Have a machinist bore it til one of the sizes work then get that set. Until you get 60 over its still a 4.6L then once you go 60 its a 4.7. And the different I believe was 8% more power for every 30 over? So dont sweat it, STROKE IT! HEHE...

Back