NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old May 16th, 2019, 14:58
How 'bout it Gonzo

Re: Tire recomendations for stock Daily Driver?

I run Firestone Destination AT on mine in the factory tire size with favorable winter traction results this past winter. Being all terrain they may be a little louder.in the road noise department, but I find it tolerable.
R.I.P."Buster" 86 laredo 2.8 ax5 10/85-9/17
In memory of Dave "Gonzo" Steele 1975-2008
Old May 16th, 2019, 15:53
NAXJA Member

For a stock rig that is mostly a daily driver, I've had very good luck with these.......and they do pretty darn good in mud & snow/ice too.

I had them on a 7500 lb dually and they never had a single complaint. Wait, only complaint is they do seem to pick up and sling small rocks if you drive on gravel roads a lot.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...A% 2FT+Revo+2
Old May 16th, 2019, 16:03
NAXJA Forum User

That tire isn't available in his size either. Best bet, search by tire size and see what you come up with!
Old May 16th, 2019, 16:04
NAXJA Forum User

I replace my tires when I cannot drive through a torrential downpour without slowing down.

My 01 XJ is stock and has run BFG AT 235/75R15 for the last 372,000 miles. I have gotten as much as 90,000 miles out of them with lots of highway miles. By then the rubber gets stiffer and braking distance is longer and they start to feel torrential rain. They are heavier and with stiffer sidewalls than say Goodyear Wranglers, but ride well (maybe somewhat noisier after a few rotations). The last time I had a problem with wheel balance was about 10 years ago. I have never had a flat tire with one. have broken belts on some less than desirable stretches of I-40 on lesser tires, but never with these. They are pretty much indestructible for road use, plus they have a Snow Rating.

Goodyear Wranglers I'm trying are lighter and have softer sidewalls. Tire shops seems to need to balance them all the time to keep them from vibrating the steering wheel at interstate speeds. I have actually had 'minor' death wobble where I'd have to pull onto the shoulder and slow to 40mph because they were out of balance and starting violently shaking the steering wheel until I slowed down.

I have run the Bridgestone Revo's on trucks before and they are fine. I just prefer the BFG.
Old May 16th, 2019, 16:08
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP Phx View Post
That tire isn't available in his size either. Best bet, search by tire size and see what you come up with!
Heck, it ain't even available in the sizes I use to run anymore either......