• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5 Gal. Jerry cans / Fuel cans

Hammered

NAXJA Forum User
I spoke to my local hardware store here in PA. They made it sound as though the metal "Blitz" cans were Iffy with today's restrictions etc...
They found one they would order for me but it was around $45. So...
I have priced around for a little while to see about something along the same lines. The jerry cans were looking pricey even for used ones. Did a search online and came across the POLY Moeller Scepter ECO jerry can. True Value hardware stores can order these.

Their number is SKU: 579513

41f5ENSsaqL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Cost for me was $22 which is about half what the Blitz cans were.

Just thought I'd post this up. :rof: The plan is to make a mount for my swing out.

I hate to tell you, but Federal DOT prohibits motor fuel from being transported in any plastic can. They all must be metal "safety" cans. Now you probably do not fall under the Fed CMV code, but it is a good guide line to follow.

Good to know. Honestly, my local hardware / supply store was making it sound like they were "not supposed" to get metal Blitz cans in due to newer PA laws restricting them... I will have to check with local law enforcement.

Thanks

I'm not a real fan of the blitz cans, I have a few, they seal like crap and the donkey dicks leak like a sieve, they always have, I used to use them alot to top off our quarter tons on convoys where the onboard gas tank was a bit shy of getting to the next fueling and rest area for the tanker trucks. We would carry 5 or 6 in the trailer when we left home station and drove to one of the ranges/bases where we provided observer support and had no fuel support or tanker stops. They tend to leak less if you only fill them to the top of the belt line or seam at the top of the can. Last year when I worked in Manhattan I'd take 5 or 6 of them to NJ with me on sunday night and fill them up on friday when I was headed home, took advantage of the .75 to 1.00 price difference between there and the poconos then I would fill up the other jeeps at the house. One of the parts stores mismarked them a few years ago and I picked them up for $11 each :D :D :D

The NATO (metal) cans work well, much better than the old screw cap type. But there is a new model out (kid proof cap) that I've never tried.
I have a bunch of plastic 20 liter cans that I use for fuel, my guess is they were originally for industrial solvents. Double thick plastic, almost thick enough to stand on and not crush.
I've since picked up battery acid. bulk containers. Best guess is they are 40 liters and also really sturdy. Washed them out with a steam Jenny and am using them for old oil now. They seem built to really take a beating and retain integrity. The size is about right, full, one man can marginally handle one without some assistance. You'd need a transfer pump to fill your tank, if you used one for fuel transport.
As far as I can figure out, approved for hazardous liquid transport, red and a child poof cap are the only stipulations for the new regulations.

I am not talking about those cans Radar O'Riley carried around in his Jeep.
These are the what I am talking about...

ok now youre showing your age... heh. I would rather not make a round can mount. Dont think I've ever seen anyone with one of them mounted on their jeep. Like I said, I'm getting one of these poly cans. I'll show / ask the state police & let ya know what they say.

I think it'll be fine, this is what got me looking to begin with. Its a Police trailer. Its the same Scepter brand Poly Jerry cans. (By the way this sold for $530 bucks on ebay yesterday)

014c_3.jpg

37f2_3.jpg

07d0_3.jpg

Last edited:
ok now youre showing your age... heh. I would rather not make a round can mount. Dont think I've ever seen anyone with one of them mounted on their jeep. Like I said, I'm getting one of these poly cans. I'll show / ask the state police & let ya know what they say.

I think it'll be fine, this is what got me looking to begin with. Its a Police trailer. Its the same Scepter brand Poly Jerry cans. (By the way this sold for $530 bucks on ebay yesterday)

014c_3.jpg

37f2_3.jpg

07d0_3.jpg

Nice Police trailer! I'd like one!

Great deal when you consider just the two cans would set you back just under $200 :wow:

Good luck on getting the Scepter cans, very hard to get stateside...

There is one guy who is selling them on e-bay and some of the other forums. He wants big$$$ for them, $79 +$14 shipping.
Kinda hard to swallow when just across the border in Canada they can be had for $28.35 per can...

BTW - What category was the trailer listed in on ebay?

Hammered, those Sceptor cans are no longer being imported to the US thanks to CARB compliancy issues. They are the current Military issued cans as well. You'll need to buy stock already here in the states, although they have almost doubled in price.

I'm looking for a few OD fuel and water cans myself.

Hammered, those Sceptor cans are no longer being imported to the US thanks to CARB compliancy issues. They are the current Military issued cans as well. You'll need to buy stock already here in the states, although they have almost doubled in price.

I'm looking for a few OD fuel and water cans myself.

I've go a source for them at the above mentioned price:shiver:

The scepter type water cans are fairly common here (the fuel type less so) and can be used for fuel. Beware of cheap copies. The only real problem with the plastic containers is rub throughs. I've had mine get fairly thin in spots and have learned to pad certain areas, especially when using the metal type military mounts.
The new Carb regulations are likely for newly fabricated containers and not applicable to the older ones (hopefully).

just a reference picture, but i got one of these in my cherokee now, sealed with that gold cap, and i smell absolutely no fuel, i took it out yesterday and did fine... and btw i also only paid 46.99 + tax =) so they arent all that expensive, i bought em from supply sergeant
IMG_0386.jpg

so i went outside and took some pictures for you, i in fact have a blitz can... it doesnt leak but i have not gotten the opportunity to use it yet, so i cant tell you how well it pours but heres pictures anyhow.
IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_0213.jpg

IMG_0212.jpg

The biggest problems with the screw type metal cans (Jerry cans or blitz cans?) is heat. Especially inside a vehicle, things are going to expand and they will vent if they get hot enough. Fuel can also melt your carpet and make a heck of a mess (and smell), the voice of experience speaking.
If you overtighten the screw cap, the gasket can migrate and the gasket is prone to cracking when very old.
The only time I ever carry extra fuel is internally (rarely), never externally and preferably in my trailer.
I have a mental picture of a rear end collision and a 15 foot circle of fuel spew.

well it wont carry fuel on a day to day basis, just when i go on trail trips. hopefully i can buy new gaskets for the cap to keep things from leaking or smelling up my cherokee in the future... maybe i'll lube it up with a thin coat of oil to keep it in good condition.

well it wont carry fuel on a day to day basis, just when i go on trail trips. hopefully i can buy new gaskets for the cap to keep things from leaking or smelling up my cherokee in the future... maybe i'll lube it up with a thin coat of oil to keep it in good condition.
If the gasket gets wet with fuel and the cap is overtightened, the gasket can squeeze out from underneath the cap, I imagine oil may cause the same thing.

Back