• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ball Joints. Suggestions on brand ?

blu3fan

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys.
my left and right ball joints are due to be replaced.
There is a tiny bit of play and its worrying me.

rock auto has quite the selection.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/jeep,1992,cherokee,4.0l+l6,1180112,suspension,ball+joint,10070

Im torn between which brand to buy.

I am pretty much down to either

MEVOTECH TXK3161T x MEVOTECH TXK3134T

MEVOTECH MK3134T x MEVOTECH MK3161T

or should I go with a brand I know like Dana or moog ?

the mevotech seem to have good reviews.
and hey... who doesn't love colorful boots party1:party1:

Oh great and powerful Naxja. I wish for the most impossible thing. Opinions.
LOL :idea:

thanks in advance

I don't have enough experience to say what you should get, but DO NOT get alloyUSA. they lasted me about 5000 miles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I have seen complaints about Moog being oversized (the knurling seems to be excessive) and thus expanding things so that later on down the road any other brand fits too loosely to be used.

Spicer seems to be the best option.

put Moog on mine. seem to doing fine, but rig doesn't see a bunch of miles either.

Spicer if you don't wanna spend a bunch.
I personally run synergy and they have held up great.
Teraflex also looks promising

My synergy ball joints lasted 3,500 street miles on 33x12.5x15 tires... The Spicers I replaced them with took a beating on and off-road for another 3 years till I sold that front axle.

So I got to check out Teraflex's adjustable balljoints this weekend at bantam $250 for a set, greasable upper and lowers and you can tighten them up if they start to wear
just figured id toss that out there. but I still like my synergies, 2 years and they are going strong

I bought a Moog lower and was really ticked off with it. They have a really stupid grease input that is hard to deal with and needs a special grease gun attachment to fill. It was a major PIA. No more moog for me.

I put upper and lower Moog on both sides in March.

I drive about 1500mi/month gravel roads and pavement. No wheeling.

Uppers already wore enough to cause play.

Just put Dana Spicer on over the weekend. Summit Racing had them pretty cheap - around $25/each. Come in a set with upper and lower for each side.

Very disappointed in Moog. I've always used them in the past, but I'm not so sure about the future.

I put upper and lower Moog on both sides in March.

I drive about 1500mi/month gravel roads and pavement. No wheeling.

Uppers already wore enough to cause play.

Just put Dana Spicer on over the weekend. Summit Racing had them pretty cheap - around $25/each. Come in a set with upper and lower for each side.

Very disappointed in Moog. I've always used them in the past, but I'm not so sure about the future.

The Dana's lasted me not even six months. Already clunking. Don't have much play, but every bump is a clunk.

At this point, after trying Moog and Dana Spicer, I don't see any reason not to just buy cheapo chinese ones from Advance. At least they have lifetime replacement when they wear out.

When I replaced them on my last Jeep I figured the OEM Dana/Spicer ball joints lasted almost 200,000 miles so why not go with them again.

The Dana's lasted me not even six months. Already clunking. Don't have much play, but every bump is a clunk.

Is the clunk from worn ball joints, or from another issue ?

I don't buy any cheap crappy Chinese clone parts that have a "Lifetime Warranty".

Back