NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old January 28th, 2020, 09:51
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Another Gearing Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyxj View Post
Harry Potter

I have run both 4.10 and 4.56, running 33"s.
It just runs better and gets better mileage with the 4.56s, keeping the RPMs higher in the power range, with less downshifting on grades.
Cruising RPMs with the 4.56s is similar to stock gearing with stock tires.
What's not to like?
Winner! we have a winner! +50DKP awarded.
Old January 30th, 2020, 12:41
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89Mock View Post
What is the advantage of 4.56 gears over 4.10s off road on the same vehicle? Calculators can tell me the crawl ratio is higher so I can assume I'll go slower. Does it put the RPMs higher before wheels start moving so it prevents over heating? Does it give me more wheel spin? I can't see why I'd want to switch to 4.56 yet when I haven't found a spot where I couldn't get up so far.
More control. Going downhill, you'll need the brakes less, which means less slipping and sliding. Going uphill, less throttle is needed to climb over an obstacle, making it easier to back out once you clear it and giving you more control as you climb.
Old February 6th, 2020, 20:28
NAXJA Forum User

Ok, now I have to throw in a monkey wrench into my own gearing thread. I was leaning towards 4:88's.

But, after much research, I picked up a 241J (4:1) transfer case out of an 03 TJ. So now, given the ratio on the 241, would 4:56's be more appropriate?

I was worried that 4:88's might be more revs on the freeway, but I was willing to live with that.

But now I'm thinking 4:56's might be more appropriate, it will be a little less revs on the freeway, and still have more crawl ratio that I was looking for.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
Old February 7th, 2020, 07:40
NAXJA Forum User

Definitely something you should consider. I run 4.10's with 33's and a 4:1 T-case,it has always(20yrs) ran great towing my trailer thru the mountains and crawling I have gotten under the jeep when in gear on the trail as it moves so slow. Now with my stroker I could easily pull with some 3.73's!
Old February 10th, 2020, 15:46
NAXJA Forum User

If you go that route, you might consider getting an override switch for the AW4. Depending on the type of trails you're on, 1st can be kinda slow in 4L, and 3rd can be a little fast. 2nd is the sweet spot for most of my trail runs, especially in a convoy with rigs closer to stock gearing.
Old February 10th, 2020, 19:40
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einulfr View Post
If you go that route, you might consider getting an override switch for the AW4. Depending on the type of trails you're on, 1st can be kinda slow in 4L, and 3rd can be a little fast. 2nd is the sweet spot for most of my trail runs, especially in a convoy with rigs closer to stock gearing.
I was thinking of doing just that, as well. I'm glad you brought it up. Are you thinking something like from Montana Fab? Or something else?
Old February 10th, 2020, 20:24
NAXJA Forum User

More important, get the 2-low kit for the transfer case, it will pay off instantly as I rarely use 4wd anymore.
Old February 10th, 2020, 23:02
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP Phx View Post
More important, get the 2-low kit for the transfer case, it will pay off instantly as I rarely use 4wd anymore.
I know you have talked about this modification before, but can you explain again the advantages of this?
Old February 11th, 2020, 00:48
NAXJA Member #1310

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCat63 View Post
I know you have talked about this modification before, but can you explain again the advantages of this?
It allows driving in low range in 2WD, many times in steep situations, low gears are wanted when the lack of traction isn't a problem .
If nothing else, it makes driving in traffic jams easier.
01 Sport, Russ Pottenger 4.6, AW4, 4" lift, 33 X 10.50 KM2, 4.56-8.25 TruTrac, D-30-E-Locker with alloy shafts, Hidden M8000 winch, Vanco front and ZJ rear disc brakes, Frame stiffeners, Lots of armor, Towing baseplate. http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/c...7603770130683/
1997 Country, Mostly stock, 2" lift, Engine mods, NP242, Towing baseplate
Old February 11th, 2020, 07:14
NAXJA Forum User

The main benefit to me is because I'm locked front/back so when in 2lo the steering doesn't fight you, plus I get better mileage too. It will shift on-the-fly to 4lo so if and when it's needed it's easy to do.
Old February 11th, 2020, 09:03
NAXJA Forum User

Makes sense, thanks for the explanations. I'll look in to it. I'm going to have the transfer case gone through before I install it, so getting a 2 low kit should be easy.
Old February 11th, 2020, 13:09
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCat63 View Post
I was thinking of doing just that, as well. I'm glad you brought it up. Are you thinking something like from Montana Fab? Or something else?
Either MontanaFab's, or NickInTime's that he just released, which is completely plug-and-play with no wire cutting or splicing. https://nickintimedesign.com/product...fter-jr-v1-97/