NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old February 5th, 2020, 13:36
NAXJA Forum User

RE 3.5 leaf pin for shim

Starting to get some Vibes need to install shims.

I contacted Rubicon Express. They say 7/16 pin is what I need. Does this sound right, I've read different? And does anybody know if there is a torque spec for a leaf spring pin?
Old February 5th, 2020, 17:15
Freakish Hand Strength

Re: RE 3.5 leaf pin for shim

Why not measure the existing pins for confirmation ? All fasteners have a torque spec, you can consult your Factory Service Manual, or use the Google and torque to a Standard Steel Bolt Torque Specification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

Go ahead and slam the liftgate down on a blanket, and see how long you are laughing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soyjer

Tim MAY be 100% correct, but why would a person automatically pick him as the expert .....
Old February 5th, 2020, 19:53
NAXJA Forum User

well im guessing the FSM doesnt apply to after market parts.

Is there a normal torque for the bolt/pin, or is the torque on the pin set per the application?

Ive also read the bolt should be 3/8 for my exact spring, and this has been on forums and purchase reviews... sooo Im turning to those who may have done this.

I can ballpark the bolt with a ruler, but torque would be helpful.
Old February 5th, 2020, 20:46
Stranger

You can probably just get the torque spec from a table/chart for that particular bolt size/grade. It isn't going to be like a head or main cap bolt that is going into cast iron. It should be standard nut/bolt fare that you could find in an engineer's Pocket Ref.

I expect you are just looking at a cap screw. You will need to pull things apart to know for certain. Here was my experience with my OME springs: OME leaf spring fun.

Baby it's cold outside.
Old February 9th, 2020, 21:11
NAXJA Forum User

shims came in, looks like they will need to be drilled to 3/8

RE shims fyi
Old February 10th, 2020, 08:06
NAXJA Member

I used allen head hardened bolts from the local Ace Hardware, they work fine but you may need to drill out the perch a little bit.
Old February 14th, 2020, 20:07
NAXJA Forum User

perch was fine, 3/8 allen bolts worked great after drilling, i think 4" lengths. It did however push the pinion closer to my TC and now the 99 front driveshaft being used with a hack n tap sye doesnt fit.

Hadnt read that consideration before but maybe this helps someone later.
Old Yesterday, 07:33
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4JeePmaNthINg View Post
perch was fine, 3/8 allen bolts worked great after drilling, i think 4" lengths. It did however push the pinion closer to my TC and now the 99 front driveshaft being used with a hack n tap sye doesnt fit.

Hadnt read that consideration before but maybe this helps someone later.
Are you sure you got the pin in the center hole on the axle? IIRC there are 3(holes) on the pearch,but only 1 in the center.
Member#17
NRA Life member, AARP NovaJeepers
96XJ,4.0,AW4,D30/D44,4:10s,Detroit,4.5" lift 33,s
Old Yesterday, 11:34
NAXJA Forum User

quite certain, the center hole has to be opened up if you us RE leafs, ide already done this years ago. iirc the other holes are square.
Old Yesterday, 12:15
NAXJA Member #1310

In a pinch when needing a center pin now, and none are immediately available, take the right diameter bolt, chuck it up in a drill motor and spin the head against a spinning grinder wheel.
This changes the hex head into a round one, while reducing the head's diameter until the right size is achieved .
01 Sport, Russ Pottenger 4.6, AW4, 4" lift, 33 X 10.50 KM2, 4.56-8.25 TruTrac, D-30-E-Locker with alloy shafts, Hidden M8000 winch, Vanco front and ZJ rear disc brakes, Frame stiffeners, Lots of armor, Towing baseplate. http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/c...7603770130683/
1997 Country, Mostly stock, 2" lift, Engine mods, NP242, Towing baseplate
Old Yesterday, 16:27
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4JeePmaNthINg View Post
quite certain, the center hole has to be opened up if you us RE leafs, ide already done this years ago. iirc the other holes are square.
Yes, But why won't the driveshaft fit? A shim will change the angle a few degrees, but not the length.
Member#17
NRA Life member, AARP NovaJeepers
96XJ,4.0,AW4,D30/D44,4:10s,Detroit,4.5" lift 33,s
Old Yesterday, 21:52
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Sihler View Post
Yes, But why won't the driveshaft fit? A shim will change the angle a few degrees, but not the length.
well it didnt change much, but its enough that it no longer fits.

if im correct the axle moves in an arc, it will bring the pinion closer/ further from the tc output as it moves.

believe me I tried every bit of flexing/jackstand/ compression to see if it would gos in, but the angle has changed the parameters of where this arc now starts. just barley too much closer to the tc where the DS will not fit and its fully compressed. Its quite close, visually it was tempting, if the ears of the yoke were not there it may be close to seating haha.

not a chance game to play with an aluminum housed TC.

shims were 8* it may have been just enough to close this gap. when the pinion was pointed parallel to the ground, it is further from the TC. once the shims were added the shifting of the pinion has been brought ever so slightly closer. if this isnt the case i dont know how to explain it because the u bolt plates would not be sitting flat, if it was off like you asked.