• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Unibody stiffeners

XJ99Kirk

NAXJA Forum User
So I know that unibody stiffeners help with the twisting of the unibody. But what are some other benefits of running the stiffeners? With them on could I go wheeling with no doors and not have to worry about twisting my jeep up. Thanks.h
1cd6c1aa2e35b0e2a692d34cf92c9554.jpg

Nice heep.

I'd recommend ruff stuff stiffy's, but almost anything is better than nothing.
The whole jeep twisting with the doors off (Xj) has been more of a myth from all the reading I've done.....

Though it makes sense seeing how weak the unibody is, or can be.

Main thing is the sooner you get them on the longer your jeep is gonna last! Stiffening the body up, and protecting the 'frame' rails are just some of the benefits.

From the reviews I've read it can lead to better road handling and steering since you aren't steering a noodle around, and makes for better suspension action off road.

I did the centers only and it took enough flex out to totally change the way the jeep drove. It's much more neutral with a slight oversteer balance (noticeable on slick pavement). I had a factory rear sway bar which I HAD to remove with the frame stiffeners because the jeep became almost twitchy in corners.
I also have an '87 2-door with 300k, so not as rigid as the 4 door and doesnt have the '94-up nvh upgrades to the unibody.
Drove down a bumpy gravel road and feel the gap between the top of the door and the drip rail with your fingertips. Thats the unibody flexing. Mine flexed a ton there, and the center stiffy's took out 3/4 of that movement.

Another benefit is that it gives you a solid base to build from.

Things like sliders or a long arm will be attached to 3/16" plate rather than sheet metal,the stiffeners themselves will also act as sliders protecting your unit frame from rock damage.

I would also go with Ruffstuff,they come 3/16" standard rather than 10ga and the extra bend in them makes them more rigid than most other stiffeners.

I get my hands on a set of ruffstuff stiffeners for $110. So with the handling, it will make it easier to steer with less or more away?

Sounded like you scraped pretty badly, where was this? Naches?

Yup naches for nwfest. Great part was afterwards, it hadn't made a dent and barely a scratch on the stiffener lol
There really is no better investment than uniframe stiffeners for a xj

People have been going door-less long before stiffeners became popular. Just park on level ground when you put them back on. ;)

If you plan on keeping your Jeep for the long term, stiffeners are a good investment.

I was doorless on my 00 with no stiffeners. IIRC the rear hatch provides more unibody strength than the doors.

I had power locks and windows so I went to a junkyard and cut out a connector with enough hookups for the door wires and wired in a quick connector. Other than that it wasn't bad. Did have to angle the door to get it into place or off but again not too bad.

Loved having the doors off. Want to go doorless on my 97 sometimes but keep talking myself out of it.

I don't understand the whole 'doorless' thing on an Xj. Especially a dd

Now something like 'Eric'sXJ' maybe.... Trail only rig.

If I did anything it would be making some nice half doors, but this is Oregon so I'd probably never do it

Never have been a fan of the doorless look myself. I ran half doors on the old Jeep, and really liked them. I prefer having a safety barrier between me and the rocks. When the Nail Salon gets caged I'll probably build a set of tube doors skinned with aluminum just to shed some weight.

Now something like 'Eric'sXJ' maybe.... Trail only rig.

If I did anything it would be making some nice half doors, but this is Oregon so I'd probably never do it

This is why you can put the doors back on ;) When I lived in North Carolina and wheeled Uwharrie once a month I'd drive to my Campsite then remove the doors and leave them at the campsite for the weekend then put them back on for the drive home.

Yeah, makes sense. I'm just not interested in it myself
Nice half doors could maybe be cool, for summer time, but even then it's usually hot, and I want my windows up and ac on lol
Guess I'm getting old, and spoiled

I've got a set of doors I'm making into half doors and I'm hoping to make them like a wrangler door where the upper is removable with either buttons or a zipper. Be good for summer if rain came out of nowhere or had to drive at night when it's cooler

Back