• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Two inch lift, 31 inch tires, and bumpstops

Rod Knee

NAXJA Forum User
I have a "96 XJ with a two inch lift. Currently have 235/75/15's on as tires. My question is about bumpstoping needed to fit 31's without trimming, or at least with very minimal trimming. I have searched and there are plenty of opinions as to whether 31's fit on a budget boost but not much specifically about bumpstopping. The Stevens link below seems to indicate that bumstopping an additional inch to 1.5 inches would be needed in back but that not really any bumpstop modification would be necessary in front. Elsewhere, such as on a recent chart in JP magazine (linked) either trimming or BS mod of less than an inch is indicated. No modification by trimming or BS mod is indicated in the Lynch chart (linked).

Without having the benefit of being able to put 31's on prior to their purchase and going to a RTI ramp, I am wondering if I can likely get by with just adding an inch to the BS height using a hockey puck on each side in front. I've already put in MJ BS's in back for an additional 1.25 inches in anticipation of going to the larger tires. An extra inch of BS height in front would still give me an inch more up axle travel than stock and would be an acceptable trade off to fit 31's if I could do so without having to trim fenders. The way I figure it, my 235's have no rubbing so the extra 1 inch radius of 31's should be just about accounted for by the extra 1 inch BS height provided by the hockey puck. But of course I could be failing to account for something (like maybe the extra one inch of tire width).

So what do you think. Is there a strong likelyhood that I'd get by with modifying my bumpstops by adding just an inch per side in front to preclude any necesity to trim, or is there just no way of really knowing until the tires are actually on the vehicle? Oh, and did you pick up on me not wanting to trim?

http://members.aol.com/Stvns/XJhelp2.html
http://www.shoplynch.com/jeepstore/fitment.html
http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/wheels/154_0512_jeep_lift_tire_fitment_charts/photo_05.html

Last edited:
You should be fine. Chances are that the tires will tuck, rather than hit the flares themselves. Are they on stock or aftermarket wheels (cragar etc..)? That plays a large factor.

I have the two inch lift and 31" MT baja claws. they are a true 30" tire. I run on sand dunes with huge whoops and mud run it as well.

the front is coilspring spacers and rear is ramcharger springs. little trimming on the inside of the fenders and no problems. I run wheels with 4 1/2 inch backspacing, so no rubbing on suspension parts.

You should be fine. Chances are that the tires will tuck, rather than hit the flares themselves. Are they on stock or aftermarket wheels (cragar etc..)? That plays a large factor.

I would just use the stock wheels with the 5.25 inch backspacing to keep off the flares/fender. A little rubbing on the LCA's would be acceptable, if not enthusiastically received.

hate to play the every jeep is differant, but its true, and your gonna have to flex it out, or do whatever you can to get the shock bottomed out. at this point, if your tire isnt rubbing either, bump it there.

no easy answers in bumpstop/shock length

hate to play the every jeep is differant, but its true, and your gonna have to flex it out, or do whatever you can to get the shock bottomed out. at this point, if your tire isnt rubbing either, bump it there.

no easy answers in bumpstop/shock length

I found a ramp and flexed it today with the 235s on. At full flex with the wheels turned I was within a hair of the flair. Looks like I'll
need at least one hockey puck on each side up front. The back doesn't come close to hitting. I'll check it again when I have the larger tires and hockey pucks in place.

Well, this thread is a year old, but that's OK. Using the stock wheels and backspace, adding the hockey pucks for an additional 1 inch of bumpstop did the job. I have no fender rubbing issues. I took care of the considerable amout of lower control arm rubbing that I had by swapping out my LCA's for junkyard WJ LCA's.

Back