• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cylinder 6 Injector misfire?

kevswens20

NAXJA Forum User
Recently bought a 1998 XJ, The check engine light was on and when i checked the codes it read a misfire in cylinder 6 and and something about the cylinder 6 injector. Replaced the spark plugs and the fuel injectors, the check engine light went away for about 60 miles, then came back on. checked the codes again, no misfire, but something still about cylinder 6 fuel injector? I can't remember what exactly it said. So now i'm thinking maybe the wire going to the fuel injector? The wire looks good, there doesn't seem to be any damage to the wire?

Anyone have any ideas on what my problem could be? I am just about out of ideas. :huh:

If you have a code for a fuel injector problem with a particular cylinder, and you have replaced the fuel injector, then yup....the wiring is the #1 suspect here. And the connector for the fuel injector.

The check engine light turned off when I was driving home from work. So i'm wondering if i should mess with it or just leave it alone?

The "self-healing" Jeep has not yet been invented (LOL!), so this will likely return.

The intermittent nature of this is confirmation that you have a "contact" issue with wiring or connector.

did you "clear" the code with a code scanner, or just read them (after you changed the injector and plugs)?

If you didn't clear them, you may have been seeing a stored code that had not seen enough "clean cycles" to clear itself. I'd clear them with a scanner and look for a new code to trip.

If the code returns, start with a wiggle test:
clear codes
start engine
reach operating temp
have friend watch C.E.L.
wiggle connections
look for misfire/C.E.L.
repair whatever you manipulated to cause the light

If you didn't clear them, you may have been seeing a stored code that had not seen enough "clean cycles" to clear itself. I'd clear them with a scanner and look for a new code to trip.

Yeah i didn't clear the codes :doh: I'm thinking your right, I have been driving all day and it hasn't come back on. :D

Back