• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Valve Cover Gasket?

Stroketech

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys, I was wondering if you knew of an updated valve cover gasket for our XJ 4.0's. I work on Fords all day and we have some nice rubber/plastic gaskets with a metal core that can be reused many times. I just put a new cork gasket on my jeep a few months back when I did the head gasket and its leaking already. Is there any hope for fixing this short of silicone?

There is a better rubber type gasket available for the 4.0. Felpro makes one.

Thank you. I'm getting ready to attack my oil leaks. Valve Cover Gasket, Oil Filter Housing and my Distributer is leaking so bad internally its coming out from under my dist cap! :tears: I've never seen that one before but hopefully we can get her taken care of!

You can get the better gasket at Autozone or Kragen. They're a little bit pricey at about $35-40. But much better than cork.

Stroketech said:
Thank you. I'm getting ready to attack my oil leaks. Valve Cover Gasket, Oil Filter Housing and my Distributer is leaking so bad internally its coming out from under my dist cap! :tears: I've never seen that one before but hopefully we can get her taken care of!
I had that same problem on my first motor, it ended up being that there was so much blowby, and someone had messed with the CCV resulting in high crankcase pressures. The pressure was so great that it was pushing oil into my distributor. My first thought was to replace the seals in the distributor but to my surprise I was told that there weren't any to replace. So, just a suggestion, make sure your CCV system is clear and functioning.

You mean like the PCV valve and stuff? I was wondering if I could put just a lil breather in the valve cover but never looked into it. The motor was rebuilt 30,000 ago and I dont see any evidence of blow by but I think there is a lil issue with crank case pressure due to a slight amount of oil getting pushed into my air box.

Stroketech said:
You mean like the PCV valve and stuff? I was wondering if I could put just a lil breather in the valve cover but never looked into it. The motor was rebuilt 30,000 ago and I dont see any evidence of blow by but I think there is a lil issue with crank case pressure due to a slight amount of oil getting pushed into my air box.
Yes, PCV= Positive Crankase Ventilation CCV= Crank Case Ventilation. I don't know if you have a PCV valve or a CCV oriface, but either one needs to be clear. The CCV has a very small hole where it enters the valve cover and needs periodic cleaning, a PCV valve has pellet inside that should move freely when you shake it. I have seen people put in aftermarket vents/filters in the valve cover, I personally have never tried this.

The Fel-Pro gasket #VS50458R is the best one around. It will not leak and as an added bonus if you have a 96+ stamped steel cover, it comes with new grommets as well. The parts books say it only works for 96+ 4.0Ls, but I've used it on older ones with the aluminum covers as well; it works great.

Back