• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Valve cover gasket

bzdel2441

NAXJA Forum User
Can you get a valve cover gasket in defferent kinds of materials? If so whats the best type?

Thanks
Chris

I've seen three types at napa, pure cork, cork neophrene and all neophrene. I've always preferred the neophrene as it's reusable mostly if you take the cover off from time to time and don't over torque the cover.

I hope no one is selling cork gaskets for the valve cover - or anyother gasket for that reason - they tend to fall apart, especially if over torqued... Deffinitly spring for the neoprene one (NAPA gets my vote)....

Will.

http://community.webshots.com/album/206280455qIlgHv

I thought my cover was leaking on my '98 4.0 but I found I have very, very, slight seeping of the head gasket. I gunked everything down and after buying the oem cover gasket - see link above - discovered no leakage. Then I bother to read my FSM and learn that the original oem is reusable. duh.

FWIW, I just installed NAPA/Balkamp hatch support rods and they definitely were well worth the extra $10 each, versus the off-the-shelf junk I installed to hold up a friend's Camrys' hood.

The oem is great quality, but pricey, now I definitely would have gone NAPA.

Mike #300

Last edited:
On my old '90, I replaced my OEM valve cover, with an aluminum one thru Jeep. Comes with it's own permanant gasket... meaning it's already on the cover (some kind of gel) and all you do is install the cover.

Back