• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 running problems

cherokee Wheeler10

NAXJA Forum User
k it starts fine but then starts to ideal really low till it dies i have changed out the fuel filter, and added fuel injector cleaner. Any one have any ideals were to start???? it is a 92/ 4.0/ High output

Pulling these out of my a@$. Check the throttle positioning sensor, and vacuum lines. Also my 90 has a little set screw that I can turn on the throttle body to adjsut the idle.

When it starts to idle down, can you give it gas and keep it going, or does it die altogether?

How long does it take to start misbehaving?

Does the computer set a code? Cycle ign. on off on off on, watch check engine light, and take down the 2-digit flash codes. 5-5 is end of sequence, and 1-2 means just that the battery has been disconnected recently. Ignore those. Record any others.

Have you tried a vacuum gauge?

First of all, clean your throttle body. That's where the air goes into the engine and the throttle valve is. The Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) is bolted into that from the rear. Search the forum, and there are several threads on how to do this.
If that doesn't fix your problem, it'll give you an idea of which the TPS is and is standard maintenance anyhow.
There are also quite a few threads on how to check and adjust the TPS.

jldiaz said:
First of all, clean your throttle body. That's where the air goes into the engine and the throttle valve is. The Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) is bolted into that from the rear. Search the forum, and there are several threads on how to do this.
If that doesn't fix your problem, it'll give you an idea of which the TPS is and is standard maintenance anyhow.
There are also quite a few threads on how to check and adjust the TPS.

No TPS adjustment on a 92.

is checking the light the same as that tool you plug in that flashes because i called and someone told me to by one of those.. it will run for about 2-3 mins then starts running really bad and then if you step on the gas it will run good for a few mins but if you let up on the gas at all it dies

Check all your vacume lines. I had one line disconnect from my carb, I looked over it like 100 times before I before I found my problem. Look for a hissing sound.I had simular problems butas soon as I pluged the line back in place she ran like shes supposed to.

jldiaz said:
First of all, clean your throttle body. That's where the air goes into the engine and the throttle valve is.

Amen! Carb cleaner and a old tooth brush works well. Clean the idel motor thing that's in there also. Don't mess with the screw because something else is wrong and needs corrected.

JoBo

Back