• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another AW4 transmission problem

dragula

NAXJA Forum User
A little long but cliffs are listed at the bottom

Well one more problem with the aw4 transmission. This time the particular tranny resides in my 1991 cherokee sport, 4.0L HO, with 330,000 miles on it. It was originally used to deliver mail... but I am not sure for how many of those miles. I bought the cherokee in june after wrecking my previous cherokee in may... also a 1991 sport 4.0 with 200,000 miles. After a few months work I got it on the road and I am currently driving it at college.

The problem is when you start it up for the first time and put the transmission into drive it takes at least 1 to 2 seconds to go into gear. To me that was acceptable at 300,000 miles, but now as it gets colder in the morning here in michigan I have to wait as long as 30 seconds for the transmission to engage into drive. Before it engages it moves forward slightly and will then seem to "catch" and drive as usual. The transmission shifts through all other gears smoothly and reverse does not have the problem on start up. I have flushed the transmission, changed the filter and the problem persists. I have also switched the transmission module under the glove box area from my other jeep that did not have the problem when I wrecked it. No change. I have checked the fuse under the hood for the transmission and it is fine. I think I have covered all the so called "quick fixes." If I am missing any others let me know. Anybody have the same problem or ideas on what the cause of the problem may be?

Cliffs
--Transmission hesitates to go into gear(1-2 seconds) on start up... especially on colder mornings it may take as long as 30 seconds to "drop" into gear
--Reverse works fine on startup

Thanks

Have you tried putting it in 1-2 or 3 instead of D when you start it up? Does it do the same thing, or does it only happen with D. If so there may be a sensor or something that is fouling up.

I'm also having the same problem, only no gear fully engages for about 45 seconds to a minute. But mine has 410k+ miles. I was thinking torque converter and someone else suggested the tranny oil pump. I don't know.

You are suffering from loss of fluid pressure due to a worn pump or more likely an old seal. The pressure is boosted when in reverse, hence no problem in reverse. Put in a can of transmedic or a cup of lacquer thinner. It softens the seals and helps boost the line pressure

Back