• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

power steering pump/pulley help needed

cdnabn49

NAXJA Forum User
ok, newb here... I have a new power steering pump and pulley... my question's are these:

(1) do I mount the power steering pump before mounting the pulley as the new one does not have any holes? New pulley on left old one on the right with the shaft stuck in it.
newpulleyoldpulley.jpg

(2) is the bolt and nut used to press the pulley onto the power steering shaft? The instructions from the pump are vague at best.
newpulley1.jpg

(3)here is the new pump with the pulley shaft forward..

pump1.jpg

You normally need the holes in the pulley to get the bolts thru. It would be a real bitch to remove the assy without them. I always mount the pulley on the bench.

ok, newb here... I have a new power steering pump and pulley... my question's are these:

(1) do I mount the power steering pump before mounting the pulley as the new one does not have any holes? New pulley on left old one on the right with the shaft stuck in it.

(2) is the bolt and nut used to press the pulley onto the power steering shaft? The instructions from the pump are vague at best.

Since the bolts usually go through the holes in the pulley, there is no way for you to bolt the pump up unless the pulley is installed after the pump is bolted into place.
Your other choice is buy a pulley with holes. I have bought a couple of them from Napa.

Yes, the pulley is installed with the provided bolt and washer. Put a little grease or anti-seize on the shaft to make it a little easier to press the pulley on. Make sure the pulley goes on straight or it can get jammed up and damaged.

And buy/rent a power steering pump pully puller (yes, it's a special tool. No, it's not terribly spendy) so you can remove the OEM pully - sounds like you need the holes there (on the RENIX rigs, it's not a problem. The OEM pully looks like the one you went and bought.)

Use Never-seez, and get happy with the stuff! Apply to the pully bore and shaft only, don't put any on the screw threads (you don't need them, and I've known people to end up snapping the screw that way...)

Put the pump on the bench, or in a vice (just snug, not tight. You're using the vise as a "third hand") with wood in the jaws. Set the pully in place, screw the nut about halfway (or a bit more) up the screw, and put the washer on. Run the screw into the pump shaft as far as it will go. Apply grease to both sides of the washer.

Since you've bottomed the screw in the shaft (it's a blind hole in a hardened shaft,) you shouldn't need to use a wrench to hold the screw in place - so just slowly turn the nut down to press the pully on. The pully will stop when it is flush with the snout of the shaft - which is where you want to stop anyhow.

Back up the nut about one turn, then back the screw out of the shaft. Install the pump.

Yes, you could probably install the pully after installing the pump, but why make the job far more difficult than it needs to be?

You normally need the holes in the pulley to get the bolts thru. It would be a real bitch to remove the assy without them. I always mount the pulley on the bench.

Uh you install the pulley after installing the pump, and remove the pulley before removing the pump. No need for holes in the pulley at all. This is the way my Cadillac is setup BTW, and it uses nearly the same GM pump.

The holes are nice to have if you need to remove the pump often (IE swap the intake or exhaust) but are not critical

Last edited:
(1) do I mount the power steering pump before mounting the pulley as the new one does not have any holes?
yep

Yeah you press it on. There is a thread in the center of the pulley shaft that the supplied bolt goes into, and the nut is used to press the pulley onto the shaft. More specifically, put the pulley on the shaft, put the square nut and washer on the bolt, drive the bolt into the threaded shaft at least an inch (don't take it all the way or it will get stuck), then crank the square nut down to push the pulley onto the shaft.

Ok, confused which is it... question when the pump is mounted then the pulley... what do I do if I have to replace the pump again with the new pulley has no holes.

Ok, confused which is it... question when the pump is mounted then the pulley... what do I do if I have to replace the pump again with the new pulley has no holes.

mount the pump then put the pulley on and get happy with the anti-seize so next time removal is easier

if you have to change the pump again use a puller to remove the pulley first

First, it is a pain in the ass to install the pulley on the vehicle compared to on the bench. Second, to use a good puller to remove the pulley, there is barely enough room and if you ever need to swap it out on a trip or trail, it will be 10 times easier to do it with the correct pulley. They put the holes their for a reason.

this is the dilemma...
as you can see the power steering pump shaft is still attached to the pulley...
new pump on left old pulley with shaft on the right..
SO here is the question do I have to have a pulley with or with out holes??? guy's are really need a definitive answer... I am going crazy here...

newpumpoldpulley.jpg

go to autozone or your local parts house, buy the proper puller, remove the shaft from your OLD pulley, and REUSE it on your new pump. that solves ALL your problems. Use the same tool to reinstall the pulley on the new pump BEFORE mounting the entire unit under the hood.

I've got a '90 and replaced my leaking pump recently. I don't remember needing to use the holes in the pulley to bolt/unbolt the pump. I also ended up cracking the original plastic pulley so I bought what looks to be the same solid aluminum pulley from NAPA. I used the puller and removed the broken one and installed the new pulley while the pump was installed. I did have the aux cooling fan removed for better access, but I find removing the fan and shroud easier than taking the pulley out.

I had the same no hole pulley on my Crown Vic, which mounts different so that you have to use the special puller to take the pulley off before you can remove it from the car anyway. If having holes in the pulley lets you get the whole thing on and off as an assembly, I'd use one with the holes. Murray's has a buy it and return it policy instead of rental, so I did that for the puller. The pulley was a bitch to get off so I had to heat it to keep from breaking something. The manual said to only re-use a pulley once.

Get your hands on a puller and reuse your wholy pulley!

Back