• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ Vs. Teraflex knuckles & Vanco brakes?

hot_rod_hooligans

NAXJA Forum User
Lets hear it.....

I'm getting a Solid LP D44(yes LP, I don't want to hear it), and am looking at the steering knuckles now, WJ knuckles with cross over steering and bigger discs, or Teraflex knuckles with high steer and Vanco discs? Pros, Cons, ect.

I wouldnt put factory junk calipers back on for a million $. The Vanco setup rocks. Absolutely incredible brake performance, on the level of BMW/Porsche/Audi good, not American good (read junk). So good I cant detect any improvement from rear disc conversion.

The other parts I have no experience with.

Any more dialogue about these setups? I'm debating between all 3 now as well...

http://www.reidracing.biz/DANA30.php

"The Reid knuckle adapts these axles to use early style Chevy & Jeep Dana 44 "outers". Early outers use tapered roller bearings eliminating the problematic unit bearings and allows standard lockout hubs to be used. Bigger brakes, more lug pattern options, and better aftermarket support come along as part of the conversion."

DANA30JEEP3-big.jpg

I can get 44 outers and lock out hubs cheap out of junk yards around here

I haven't seen a vanco kit fail in at least two days!

Interesting kit, but twice now I've seen a caliper fail. If you buy one, get some quailty calipers from a third party. :)

C85D4x4 - just ANY Chevy/Jeep 44 outers will fit that (what Jeep hase those? Wagoneer???) They'd require a bolt pattern change, correct? I havent read much on this setup or what it involves...its pretty new, right? (This knuckle)

Any tips/tricks to "protect" the part machined out for the high-steer arm?

Last edited:
cal said:
I haven't seen a vanco kit fail in at least two days!

Interesting kit, but twice now I've seen a caliper fail. If you buy one, get some quailty calipers from a third party. :)

Who else failed?

JNickel101 said:

Yeah, put a high steer arm on there.

karstic said:
Who else failed?

I'd have to find the thread; I don't remember who it was. I didn't mention it saturday because you were irritated enough as it was. ;)

Dirk Pitt said:
Yeah, put a high steer arm on there.

Ok, other than the obvious. Can you just put one on there even if you're not gonna go that high with your steering? It wont interfere with your "regular" steering setup?

Why would you spend all that money to put high steer arms on there and not use them?

yes some mild steel plate and a grinder, a drill an a few fasteners. heck silicone a piece of sheet metal and a few fastners through 2 of the holes 'll keep it in good condish till you put on a HS kit.

JNickel101 said:
C85D4x4 - just ANY Chevy/Jeep 44 outers will fit that (what Jeep hase those? Wagoneer???) They'd require a bolt pattern change, correct? I havent read much on this setup or what it involves...its pretty new, right? (This knuckle)

Its new, and I dont run it......I wish

If you want to find out more about it.....follow the link in my first post

BRIANHO13 said:
Why would you spend all that money to put high steer arms on there and not use them?

Maybe you should ask the makers why they put a stock steering arm on there AND a spot to add a high steer arm...

My guess is that if you're not running enough lift to necessitate the need for high-steer arms. Looks like a two-fold kit to me - you can run lockout hubs/better brakes AND have the option to run high steer arms. Not everyone runs 42 inch tires/6 inches of lift.

why would u spend all that money to upgrade a TJ low pinion 44 anyway?? when you can get a JK 44 with high steer arms, a locker, bigger knuckles and not to much fab work to get it to fit for a lot cheaper.

jeepme said:
why would u spend all that money to upgrade a TJ low pinion 44 anyway?? when you can get a JK 44 with high steer arms, a locker, bigger knuckles and not to much fab work to get it to fit for a lot cheaper.

hot_rod_hooligans said:
Lets hear it.....

I'm getting a Solid LP D44(yes LP, I don't want to hear it), and am looking at the steering knuckles now, WJ knuckles with cross over steering and bigger discs, or Teraflex knuckles with high steer and Vanco discs? Pros, Cons, ect.

I'm enjoying how so many people take the time to answer a question by asking another question.

Back