• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

First impressions of my VANCO Brakes

DaJudge

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I installed the VANCO upgrade on my D30 in the XJ.
To start with when you call to order Van actually answers the phone so you get any questions answered right away!
Installation was straight forward and the kit came with everything, including new cotter pins.
The instructions were detailed and complete.
Van gives a very elaborate break-in procedure which I followed. I figure if he was willing to type an entire page of instructions it was probably important.
As far as my first impressions:
WOW! What a difference! I was not happy with how the XJ stopped but now I realize that it just plain sucked before. This kit is not cheap but but I feel it is definitely worth it.
In panic stop situations the brakes would fade badly, no more. I am surprised at how much better it is, I expected improvement but not like this.
If anyone has any questions feel free to ask!

Glen

We just bought 4 new 3/4 ton Chevy vans for our fleet...they have the hydraulic boosted brakes....the older ones had vacuum boosted brakes...the difference is night and day!!! (same basic set up as the VANCO brakes).

DaJudge said:
I installed the VANCO upgrade on my D30 in the XJ.
To start with when you call to order Van actually answers the phone so you get any questions answered right away!
Installation was straight forward and the kit came with everything, including new cotter pins.
The instructions were detailed and complete.
Van gives a very elaborate break-in procedure which I followed. I figure if he was willing to type an entire page of instructions it was probably important.
As far as my first impressions:
WOW! What a difference! I was not happy with how the XJ stopped but now I realize that it just plain sucked before. This kit is not cheap but but I feel it is definitely worth it.
In panic stop situations the brakes would fade badly, no more. I am surprised at how much better it is, I expected improvement but not like this.
If anyone has any questions feel free to ask!

Glen

Did you get the vacum booster kit, or the hydraulic booster kit?

If this is the VANCO hydro-boost upgrade:
Did you tap your power steering pump and install the hydraulic lines yourself?
Did you upgrade your powersteering pump?
Did you replace knuckles, MC, booster, rotors and calipers?

I have considered doing a hydro-boost upgrade but If I remember correctly the cost was pretty high like $800-1000.

Im thinking about doing the same upgrade..... Ive always heard really positive results. I know of a few guys running that set up & all are stoked with the performance upgrade.
Our turdys definately need some help in brake dept. especially for those of us that are running 33"+ tires.

I put Vancos on mine, but used the Sport Trac calipers(Larger pistons than Explorer). Worked fairly well but just did not have the feel I was looking for. Spoke to A guy who has done many Brake upgrades and ended up using a 2000 WJ master and booster, Had to modify the rod. My brakes were then great, had new car response, felt like I was driving a 2008! Pedal did feel a little high so I then modified the pedal to sit back about a inch, could not be happier.

Love my Vanco kit also. With a 4.1 t case stopping in 4low was not fun. Now I can lock up the front no problem. I ve had the system for about 3 months now and the more I drove it the better the brakes got. Now panick stopping with my 35's on the freeway is no problem. Pretty amazing kit considering its completely bolt on with no mods to the hydraulic system at all.

Mine came with Performance Friction.......less than impressed. I'm going to try different pads.

BlueGerbil said:
I think about installing the Vanco kit to my ´90 XJ - is there any need to upgrade the current master cylinder or the booster? I heard somewhere that the 91+ XJs use a better setup?

I would, its an easy swap and if your going to spend the money on the new brake system you might as well make it the best it can be for the money. I think its 95 and newer that have the bigger MC and booster.

BlueGerbil said:
I think about installing the Vanco kit to my ´90 XJ - is there any need to upgrade the current master cylinder or the booster? I heard somewhere that the 91+ XJs use a better setup?

what size tire do you run?

i did the 1999-2004 grand cherokee(wj) booster/master swap on my 89 and the braking performance was night and day.

i dont see the point of not replacing the single diaphram booster on the 1990 xj to a dual diaphram booster even if you go with the vanco brakes. why buy the vanco kit and still use a single diapgram booster, you still have the problem of not having enough pressure.

Last edited:
FordGuy said:
I put Vancos on mine, but used the Sport Trac calipers(Larger pistons than Explorer). Worked fairly well but just did not have the feel I was looking for. Spoke to A guy who has done many Brake upgrades and ended up using a 2000 WJ master and booster, Had to modify the rod. My brakes were then great, had new car response, felt like I was driving a 2008! Pedal did feel a little high so I then modified the pedal to sit back about a inch, could not be happier.

I only did the Calipers/Rotor/outer knuckles. Not the Hydro kit. I was having problems with the mounts on the knuckles getting grooved. (Van explains this on his sight.) Not only does this give me much bigger calipers but they are a completely different design so the knuckles don't get grooves that hangup the pads.

FordGuy....What did you have to do to the rod and pedal to use the WJ booster and master?

Glen

DaJudge said:
I only did the Calipers/Rotor/outer knuckles. Not the Hydro kit. I was having problems with the mounts on the knuckles getting grooved. (Van explains this on his sight.) Not only does this give me much bigger calipers but they are a completely different design so the knuckles don't get grooves that hangup the pads.

FordGuy....What did you have to do to the rod and pedal to use the WJ booster and master?

Glen

you need to drill a larger(5/8") hole at the end of the rod that connects to the pedal.

DaJudge said:

Glen
On a 2000/01 XJ the booster rod is longer than the WJ. also the booster on the XJ sits at an angle where the WJ is flat causing the brake rod to be pulled down a angle. I cut the rod out of my stock booster, measured the correct length, then Tig welded the rods with a 1 inch overlap. Now not only does it have the correct rod length the rod is offset enough for perfect alignment. The last issue is I felt that the pedal was to high, this was caused buy the new master having very good pressure/volume compared to the stock master, I then took out the pedal and bent it back 1 inch, now it feels like I am driving a brand new car.

I did the hydro brake on my 84 cj 7 with 39.5 tsl's on 60's and after doing the swap, you'd better be wearing a harness when you stomp the brakes or you'll be riding on the hood. Will absolutely lock them up at any speed ( that i was willing to stomp the brakes at.. :) ) This thing absolutely rocked, simple bolt in with no hassles..

89xj said:
you need to drill a larger(5/8") hole at the end of the rod that connects to the pedal.

Is this using the WJ rod?

DaJudge said:
Is this using the WJ rod?

With your jeep being a 2001 as listed in your profile you need to do nothing with the rod. The previous mention of drilling to 5/8" applies only to the Renix jeeps 87~90. You can do what FordGuy did and cut and weld the rod to get the desired pedal.

Back