• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Brakes, Brake Pad Light doesn't turn off

jstggs

NAXJA Forum User
I just put all new brakes on my 89 XJ and the light for brake pads stays on. Any ideas on how to reset it or why it stays on?

Are you low on fluid? Light is on if fluid level is low. Did you bleed them and not top up the master cylinder? Did you start the engine and pump the pedal several (many) times to get everything properly seated? If you changed cylinders and/or hoses and/or calipers are you sure all fittings are tight?

Just a few things to try, since your orig. post didn't say what you did....

i had the same issue. turns out there was air in the line, and it was tripping the sensor. I bled the lines and been problem free ever since. i used a vacume bleeder that i got from pepboys. its called mightyvac

I bled everything out and topped off the fluid. I'm not talking about the light on the left side of the instrument cluster that says check anti-lock I mean the little one under the clock on the right. Probably should've added that this is an 89 Wagoneer Limited.

I have no experience with this particular setup (normal XJ's do not have the brake pad warning), but you will need to find out what the system uses to sense brake pad wear. There have been a few threads here about the setup you have, most of them wondering "how can I find one of these exotic clocks?"

Most cars that have wear indicators use a sensor wire built into the pad, which grounds to the caliper or the rotor when the pad goes down, and some require a special pad. If the Wagoneer does not have wires attached to the pads, you'll have to figure out how else it is sensing pad wear, and either reset it, correct it or disarm it. My first guess is that there is a wire somewhere on one of the calipers, which is shorting out.

If 5-90 doesn't see this thread, you might try a PM to him. I think he has some wiring diagrams for your year, and he might be able to tell you what's in the system.

under the clock sounds like the system sentry. That crazy option that about 5 xj's ever had that monitors everything.
I can tell you this, my friends BMW had pad wear sensors, once they were tripped you had to replace the sensors, as the rotor actually wore through them to set the light.
They weren't expensive, about 8 bucks, and were located in a notch in the pad. Did you see anything similar to that?

87manche said:
under the clock sounds like the system sentry. That crazy option that about 5 xj's ever had that monitors everything.
I can tell you this, my friends BMW had pad wear sensors, once they were tripped you had to replace the sensors, as the rotor actually wore through them to set the light.
They weren't expensive, about 8 bucks, and were located in a notch in the pad. Did you see anything similar to that?

No but there is a wire running to the calipers, whether this is for the pad wear sensors or the ABS I am uncertain.

On a different note I thought it was funny when I took it into the dealer awhile back, everybody was looking it over because of the options on it. It's the only wagoneer I've ever seen that came stock w/the spare tire carrier, full skids, tow hooks, brushguard, car-phone, overhead console and dual flip up sun/moon roofs.

this is something that pictures would be greatly helpful, since most of use don't have this system.
Post a picture of the wire going to the caliper and where it ends. We can at least tell if that's an ABS wire. If it's not ABS then it's gotta be related to the pads.
Also, that BMW only had it on one of the pads front and rear. 4 wheels only two sensors, so check all the wheels to make sure they're the same.

I think I have it figured out, it says in the FSM I looked at that you have to reset the system after any of the warning lights are triggered so I unplugged the battery and plugged it back in and the all sysems normal light came back on.

Thanks for the help.

BTW-Where can I get another one of these 'sentry' clocks? I want to put one in my other XJ

jstggs said:
BTW-Where can I get another one of these 'sentry' clocks? I want to put one in my other XJ
good luck. It was a rare option.
Even if you got the sentry system panel you would still need all of the sensors and the wiring harness.
It would be a major undertaking.
If I recall it had sensors for oil level in the motor and both diffs, coolant level, brake pad wear. So you'd need the wires that went to each of thosein addition to the sensors. And you'd have to drill and tap the oil pan and diff covers.

87manche said:
good luck. It was a rare option.
Even if you got the sentry system panel you would still need all of the sensors and the wiring harness.
It would be a major undertaking.
If I recall it had sensors for oil level in the motor and both diffs, coolant level, brake pad wear. So you'd need the wires that went to each of thosein addition to the sensors. And you'd have to drill and tap the oil pan and diff covers.

I didn't say I'd actually be hooking it up ;)

Back