NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old January 7th, 2018, 06:39
NAXJA Forum User

How to Properly Torque the Cam Sprocket

I have a 2000 XJ with the auto.

How do I keep the crank and cam sprockets in place to torque the cam timing gear to spec? I have an auto and even in 1st gear the crank just spins freely. When you're putting those sprockets on you don't have a harmonic balancer to use to lock it down to the sway bar with a coat hanger. How does anyone ever torque these things down?

I've always just hit it with an impact gun but I want to try to do it right this go around. I impact gun'ed the crank bolt as well since I had the engine on the stand at the time but I found it wasn't hard to get that bolt to come off, so proper torque needs applied.
Old January 7th, 2018, 06:53
NAXJA Forum User

Re: How to Properly Torque the Cam Sprocket

You can buy a socket that is desinged to slip onto the end of a crankshaft like a harmonic balancer does. second way would be to wedge something between the flexplate teeth and the bell housing to stop the flexplate from rotating.
Old January 7th, 2018, 06:57
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonlich1961 View Post
You can buy a socket that is desinged to slip onto the end of a crankshaft like a harmonic balancer does. second way would be to wedge something between the flexplate teeth and the bell housing to stop the flexplate from rotating.

Sounds dangerous. I already am missing half a tooth back there.

Wait... I should be able to put the balancer on the end of the snout and coat hanger that to the sway bar. That just might work. I guess waiting to reassemble the timing sprockets always needs to wait until the engine is reinstalled.
Old January 7th, 2018, 07:07
NAXJA Forum User

recomend two people for the flexplate trick, they acutually make a tool desigend for holding the flexplate. i would recomend either installing the balancher and doing it that way or buying a crankshaft socket and using it.

something like this, allthough is is listed for a chevy. ( https://www.amazon.com/Proform-66901...ft+socket+jeep )

This is the flexplate tool. (https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-23800-F...lywheel+turner)
Old January 7th, 2018, 08:59
NAXJA Forum User

Thanks for the informations. Can that flywheel turner be used through the flywheel cover plate or does the transmission need removed?
Old January 7th, 2018, 11:56
NAXJA Forum User

It would need removed. That's why you would use a screwdriver in the teeth through the starter hole.
Old January 7th, 2018, 13:30
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HttpWayne View Post
I have a 2000 XJ with the auto.

How do I keep the crank and cam sprockets in place to torque the cam timing gear to spec? I have an auto and even in 1st gear the crank just spins freely. When you're putting those sprockets on you don't have a harmonic balancer to use to lock it down to the sway bar with a coat hanger. How does anyone ever torque these things down?

I've always just hit it with an impact gun but I want to try to do it right this go around. I impact gun'ed the crank bolt as well since I had the engine on the stand at the time but I found it wasn't hard to get that bolt to come off, so proper torque needs applied.
This is my 2k. Use something as a "spanner" to hold the cam gear and "offset" torque the bolts(torque against the rotation, leverage is your friend).
There are several "webs" that you could grab on to with a ratchet hanlde.

Last edited by RCP Phx; January 7th, 2018 at 13:42.
Old January 8th, 2018, 06:10
NAXJA Forum User

What timing set is that? I have a cloyles. That crank sprocket has a lot of options for you to choose from.

I ended up using the harmonic balancer with a coat hanger to the sway bar.

One day I'm going to have to pull the transmission and torque those engine to flywheel bolts properly. I just hit it with an impact gun several times like I did last time.
Old January 10th, 2018, 07:00
NAXJA Forum User

It's a Rollmaster TC set with a 7 way adj crank gear.