• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 30 knuckles

d-rail

NAXJA Forum User
did a search on this no luck! i need a new steering knuckle and i was told that one from a 2 wd model uses the same knuckle. just from looking at it it looks the same, but dont want to waste my time if not.... 96 xj sport.

yea its a 4x4, but i have one here locally that a 2wd and just wanted to make sure its the same on the 2wd as the 4wd b 4 i pull it off

1: the 2wd knuckles are the same as the 4wd knuckles; but they are not the same from year to year. Make sure the 2wd knuckle is from a similar year as your jeep - or move both 2wd knuckles over. You will need calipers from a similar jeep as the knuckles.

2: the d30 knuckles will go onto a rubicon 44, since its really a d30 with 44 center section - but not a "real" dana 44 as found in a truck.

cal said:
1: the 2wd knuckles are the same as the 4wd knuckles; but they are not the same from year to year. Make sure the 2wd knuckle is from a similar year as your jeep - or move both 2wd knuckles over. You will need calipers from a similar jeep as the knuckles.

2: the d30 knuckles will go onto a rubicon 44, since its really a d30 with 44 center section - but not a "real" dana 44 as found in a truck.
they are not the same 2wd-4wd, from my experiences they are a different casting, I don't see how you could get a stub shaft/bearing on the 2wd knuckle I have sitting here, pics in a sec

of course if you just want to turn it and not have 4wd then they would work

IMG_0411.jpg

Skullvarian said:
of course if you just want to turn it and not have 4wd then they would work

IMG_0411.jpg

I admit I forgot about the old ass spindle 2wd's. The less antiquated 2wd stuff uses the same knuckle and unit bearing with a stubshaft that has no u-joint ears.

i did all the research and indeed found that non abs models around 1996 are the same. i just installed a pair from a 2wd, and it is exactly the same, even called the jeep house and the part # are the same.
thanks,

I already have a 4wd with the dana 30 my buddy has a dana 44 that im buying from him its just the shell but will the knuckles off my 30 fit on his 44? I think the 44 is from an older model bronco its a full size axle with high pinion.

illz302 said:
I already have a 4wd with the dana 30 my buddy has a dana 44 that im buying from him its just the shell but will the knuckles off my 30 fit on his 44? I think the 44 is from an older model bronco its a full size axle with high pinion.

Cal said:

I'm pretty sure that read "no", but just to make it all clear.. "No.". ;)

Back