• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

longarm questions (how long is to long and thickness)

BUCKYXJ

NAXJA Forum User
alright starting this week I guess. I am looking at lowers of about 34" eye to eye, I am gonna run RE joints at all four ends, and thinking of 2"x .250 wall dom.

you think that these are too long or is the thickness overkill?

Bucky are you going to use upper ca or radius arms. If using radius arms It would be ideal to have them mount to the frame in line with the trasfer case yoke. my 2cents

sorry I do that everytime
this setup is gonna be for a "hidden three-link" is the name for it. running two long lowers and one long (full length) upper aka torque arm.
I just did some mesurements and it looks like 34" eye to eye on lowers and 35" eye to eye on the upper.

alright got a couple of quick designs which one should I go with
I think this is the best imo but need some other input
longarmdesign1.bmp

or this more triangulated front.
longarmdesign2.bmp

BUCKYXJ said:
alright got a couple of quick designs which one should I go with
I think this is the best imo but need some other input
longarmdesign1.bmp

or this more triangulated front.
longarmdesign2.bmp
The 1st one seems the easiest to do. But on the second one, wehre would u mount the LCA's? Your tranny/oil pan are in the way?

LCA's would mount where the stock crossmember is, they would be wide enough to miss the tranny

My lower arms are somewhere around 30" in length or so and are made from 1.75x.25 wall DOM and I have yet to have a problem with them in the 5 years I have had them installed. You should be just fine with 2"x.25" DOM links.

AARON

ive been reading alot about panhard what does this do and does anyone have a pic of one installed?

BUCKYXJ said:
ive been reading alot about panhard what does this do and does anyone have a pic of one installed?
Panhard bar = trackbar

remember that the first drawing will require a panhard - and the second MAY...

this is Old Man's design

might exhange some PM's with him about it and see if it would help you out...

http://www.4x4getaways.com/LongArms.htm

Both designs require a panhard.

My design is like the second drawing, and it shifts side to side easily, even with no weight on it.

To run a panhard-less set up, you'll need 4 links, with either the top, the bottom, or both sets triangulated.

BUCKYXJ said:

This statement has me concerned........

this statement is why the hell dont people just call it a trackbar? is there any difference at all between a panhard and a trackbar?

BUCKYXJ said:
this statement is why the hell dont people just call it a trackbar?

Because only Jeep dorks call it a trackbar.
Everyone else in the automotive world call it a panhard bar.

Jes said:
Because only Jeep dorks call it a trackbar.
Everyone else in the automotive world call it a panhard bar.

I can dig it.

BUCKYXJ said:
alright starting this week I guess. I am looking at lowers of about 34" eye to eye, I am gonna run RE joints at all four ends, and thinking of 2"x .250 wall dom.

you think that these are too long or is the thickness overkill?

1 As far as the lenght it really depends how much lift you are runnin
2 I guess you havent decided to make them adjustable
I myself made mine not adjustable on the lowers and now I wish I would have( I did make the uppers adjustable though)
3 Im no expert by all means but RE joints at all ends might just give ya more articulation than you are looking for. I quess you arent talkin about a daily driver.
4 as far as the the tube you are thinking about using
there is no such thing as overkill(unless you are worried about weight issues.

BUT The total width of a RE Lg joint is approx 1.9" on my micrometer so basically you would have just a bit of trouble welding the total circumfrence of the tube to the joint . Not that its a whole lot but I myself want all the strenght possible , specially at the ends of the tube.

I used 1.75" OD x .25 wall DOM with 1.25" OD x .188 wall DOM sleeved inside

just a few thoughts

VegasAnthony said:
3 Im no expert by all means but RE joints at all ends might just give ya more articulation than you are looking for. I quess you arent talkin about a daily driver.

I'm running all RE joints(except the upper at the crossmember which is a heim) and mine is a daily driver.
Too much articulation? Ever heard of limiting straps?

I used 2"X.25" seamless chromoly for my lowers BTW.

Back