• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Should I grab these axles

chedisme

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
So a friend of mine is junking an old ford pickup he has, and offered the front d44 and rear 9in to my other friend how has a bronco. the bronco guy didnt want them, so I asked if I could have them and he said yea, just come and take them.

heres my question- I am no where near the point in my build that I would swap the axles in. so they would just sit in my backyard for a few years before I get to the point where Id do the swap. Is it worth it to grab these now, or are these axles not that hard to come by and I should just get a set when Im ready? he said he thinks there geared to 3.55.

Ive curently got a slightly bent hp d30 up front, and a 29spline8.25 rear.I sit on 30"tires with a 3" lift, but I plan on being on 35s with about 5-6" of lift one day. oh and locked f/r.

I would definitaly say take them, especially if there free. Even if you dont do the swap for a while, at least you would have most of the stuff you need already.

Is the 44 a high or low pinion? Low pinion in not much stronger than the hp 30. The 9" has the lowest pinion placement of any axle.

you want a low pinion rear, if im not mistaken almost all rears are low pinion by nature, right? because in a rear axle that is the strongest orientation? front however should be HP fo sho

you should definitely pick them up. especially if the front has the welded on wedges. even if you don't use them you could sell them for a few hundred buck to help you out with your build

It depends on what year bronco they came from. You really probably only want the 44 if it has weld on wedges, otherwise its not worth crap or your time. Also take into account your fab skills and tools or the time and money to pay someone else to install them.
Free is always good though...

you should definitely pick them up. especially if the front has the welded on wedges. even if you don't use them you could sell them for a few hundred buck to help you out with your build

Sorry if makes me sound like an idiot, but what are the wedges, and what do they do.

I havent looked at the axles yet and im not sure of the year. I know its an older truck, just not how old.

Year would be important,could even be closed knuckle/drum brakes.

Earlier Dana 44s for Ford Broncos and f-100s have wedges for the radius arms that are welded onto the axle tubes. You can cut the wedges off and your left with a bare tube to weld stock XJ brackets, 4 link tabs, or what ever you need.
The newer 44s from Ford broncos and trucks are the same axle, but the driver side axle tube is cast iron. On these axles you can’t cut the wedge off, and you can’t reliably weld to the cast iron. The cast axles are not worth a dime except maybe for parts, the 44s with weld on wedges are worth approx $500.

id grab them up regardless

the 44 is definitely HP, and a 9 inch is a pretty stout rear. (the myth that LP is weaker then HP is a myth) look at pretty much any rear axle ever...all low pinions.

even if they cost 3-4 hundred (depending if the 44 is cast wedges or not) id grab them

I have bad news. I just heard from him and he said its a 94. so its not a44 its got crappy IFS. when he said old I figured it was atleast 1980s. I dont really think 94 is that old. but the rear should be good still. wouldn't it have 4.10 gears in the 9" I thought thats what explorers had it there 8.8s

It shouldnt be a 9", its probably a 8.8 with drum brakes. It probably has 3.55s but could have up to 4.10s.

Unless the axle is right down the street id pass on it.

Back