• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

6.1L v8 hemi in an xj!?!?!?

snowchevy78

NAXJA Forum User
v8 6.1L hemi srt8
anyone think the swap is possible?
the engine is out of a 2006 charger
would the transmission that comes with the engine fit? work?
would it be possible to switch from automatic to manual too?

i want to know to see if i have to work my ass off all summer to aford it in the first place haha.

You'll also have to either A) convert to 2WD, or B) find a 4WD transmission (slushbox or stir-yer-own) that will mate up to the Hemi. I'm sure they're out there, I'm just not sure where you'd look for one at the moment, and I don't know the bellhousing pattern of the third-gen Hemi yet.

The SBChevvy seems to be a common swap, and I've heard of a couple of BBChevvy-powered XJs, so I'm sure it's doable. Just as previously mentioned - how much work are you prepared to do to make it happen? It won't be easy (engine/transmission/transfer case/axles/electronics/... Don't expect a D30/35 to hold up to that - go with D44/44 at the very least! This is one case where I'd probably go with D44/Ford 9"...)

That would be one seriously sweet XJ. Maybe then Jeep would think about remaking the best there ever was. =p

(Play nice, now... -Ed.)

Last edited by a moderator:
would a tremac tranny work?

lancey3 said:
would a tremac tranny work?

Depends. As I said, I don't know the bellhousing pattern for the third-gen Hemi (if it's the same as other ChryCo V8s, for instance) and I've not had the opportunity to find out yet.

Also, I don't know offhand if the Tremec transmission can have the bellhousing swapped, and if there any any bells available for it that will work with the third-gen Hemi. Sorry I can't give you any more information, but I just don't have it to hand myself at present.

thats what i was thinking, taking the srt8 out of a totalled grand cherokee.

would the transmission for the 5.7 match the 6.1? becuase then you could take the transmission out of a 5.7 grand cherokee and still have the 6.1 with 4wd

xj2win said:
Edit: I don't think that's a good investment at 17.

haha, thats exactly what my dad said.
i probly wont be able to afford the swap this summer but definately in the near future.

i want to try and prove him wrong.

xj2win said:
Edit: I don't think that's a good investment at 17.

i probly wont be able to afford the swap this summer but definately in the near future.

snowchevy78 said:

I dont think the point was for you to try to prove him wrong. As people have mentioned, there is a lot involved in this swap, more than other, simpler swaps. Take the amount of money you expect to spend on the swap, and double it. Then take the amount of downtime you expect for your jeep, and double it. Then take the amount of fabrication you plan on, and double that.

now double that, and you have a more realistic view of what is involved.

It is a bad@$$ engine though. One night a SRT-8 cherokee, a G35 coupe, and I were averaging 100mph around the baltimore beltway for some miles. That thing had unbelievable acceleration at that speed. I can only imagine what it would do in a smaller, lighter vehicle(probably just spin tires).

Last edited:
Do a 4bt swap and get killer mpg.

Back