• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97-01 Rear window liftgate seal

Angus

NAXJA Forum User
Repainting my 2000 XJ and removed all the glass and seal for a better job. I should have checked first but I cannot find a new seal for the rear glass in the liftgate. Anyone know of a source, and no the 84-96 does not fit. Thanks

Not going to happen.
Been looking for one myself for awhile.
What might happen at some is some NOS shows up on Ebay or Craigslist.
IMO that is about it.

There are a couple things that I have been wondering about though.
The hatch glass in a '97 and up is gunked in.
Not like '96 and down where best I can tell the molding holds it in like cargo area glass is.
So is it just "window dressing" on top of the hatch to fill the channel?
Or does the glass fit in a channel in the molding and put in all at the same time like a windshield in a '97 and up?
Also what does an auto glass shop do in this situation?
I mean it is not like they will never get a call to fix replace one in an XJ.
If it is just "window dressing" then maybe some generic stuff could work.
But I really don't see you getting the contour right.

Here's something to consider in sealing the glass in your liftgate. On my 88XJ the chrome strips around my windshield were always coming loose. So one day, I removed all the chrome strips, cleaned around the glass edge/body and filled the "trough" between the glass and body with black urethane gutter caulk that I bought at Home Depot. The "windshield replacement industry" has gone from butyl to urethane. I used a little water on my finger tip to smooth out the black urethane and it came out really well. It looked like it came from the factory that way. Urethane sticks well and will never leak. Pick up a tube of black urethane caulk and do some experimenting on how to apply it and smooth it out.

Best regards,

CJR

Yeah, I think that's true. My front and rear glass have been replaced a couple times and it's a seal they apply putting the glass in, not a gasket.

There is a rubber seal. My glass guy says he can reglue it?

That part number is the weather strip seal between the liftgate and the body.

The 97-01 glass is installed with a Molding, Liftgate

Part Number: 55175366AD
Supersession(s): 55175366; 55175366AB; 55175366AC

There is a rubber seal. My glass guy says he can reglue it?

Yes, that's the same as if you bought universal strip and cut and glued it together. If done right with all the prepping and adhesive they turn out great.

Curious to know how this played out. I'm thinking about switching glass over from a Sienna Pearl tailgate to a Chili Pepper Red one and am looking to avoid a disaster.

I ended up cleaning the old seal and window and reinstalling it. So far so good.

Back