• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon run June 2019?

BlurpleXJ

Blue. Purple. Blurple.
NAXJA Member
Hi folks. I'm military and just got posted to Fort Irwin two months ago so forgive the cold intro here. I've dropped in on about half the NAXJA chapters this way at this point just from getting moved around. I'm originally Southeast chapters and some of yall may have seen me at Moab back in 2013 for the 30th.

Short version is, I have a really restrictive schedule (we're basically three weeks balls to the wall and then a four day weekend) and trying to cram in a run on the Rubicon while I'm here in Cali. The best window for me to do it, as far as I can tell, is 20-23 June 2019. I may be able to harass some SoCal guys into coming, but since it's yall's area figured I'd ask.

Anyone in yall's chapter interested in making a run that weekend? If not, any advice for how good/bad an idea that time window is?

FWIW I meet the 'minimum requirements' set in the forum thread except tire size. I have a few years experience at this point, running 31s with f/r selectables, chromo shafts, gobs of armor, winch etc etc. I may even move to 33x10.5s KO2s before heading up there.

I'd likely be driving up the morning of the 20th but could wait until the 21st to hit the Rubicon itself. Prefer not start Saturday so I don't get off the trail Sunday and then drive 7 hrs back, in case I have fixing to do.

Any interest?

I’m sure there will some folks up for this. I’d definitely consider stepping up to 33s before hitting the trail. Ran it at the end of September and there were some sections that would be pretty darn difficult with 31s. Keep us posted on your plans!

Yeah and id go 12.5 not 10.5. Chip clip runs 10.5s and pops 1-2 beads like every time. I think a 33/12.5/15 or larger would be wise

Pretty sure I will be at Seals wedding In colorado that week?

That could be a good weekend and it could be covered in snowmelt and drifts.

I may not have a ready vehicle but I am kind of intrigued by the thought of hiking and spotting. It is also hard to get away so ?

Are you anticipating a full run through, from Loon Lake to Lake Tahoe?

That could be a good weekend and it could be covered in snowmelt and drifts.

I may not have a ready vehicle but I am kind of intrigued by the thought of hiking and spotting. It is also hard to get away so ?

Are you anticipating a full run through, from Loon Lake to Lake Tahoe?

Conditions permitting, that would be my goal.

I just saw, that’s the same weekend as Rubithon (many Toyotas) so be advised. Might not be a travel issue as I think you’d be going the same direction but consider that for campsites.

I just saw, that’s the same weekend as Rubithon (many Toyotas) so be advised. Might not be a travel issue as I think you’d be going the same direction but consider that for campsites.

I appreciate the heads up. The next good weekend I would have for sure to play with would be 19-22SEP19. Not sure if conditions are likely to be any better during that time. Maybe I could swing 27-30JUN19, if I can work something with the bosses.

I appreciate the heads up. The next good weekend I would have for sure to play with would be 19-22SEP19. Not sure if conditions are likely to be any better during that time. Maybe I could swing 27-30JUN19, if I can work something with the bosses.

A few of us went through on the first weekend in October a couple of years ago and it was great. Cool at night, warm during the day, little to no dust and no crowds. So Sept could be pretty good weather for a run.

Back