• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water pump question

ghettocherokee

NAXJA Forum User
So I noticed about a week ago that my water pump was leaking so I figured that it was on its way out. A few days later, no leaking. Then I was out wheeling and it was probably 50 degrees out, and the jeep seemed to be running warm (over 220), the e fan was kicking on but I could not keep the jeep cool. So I assume the water pump is going out/toast. Could it be something else? Mech fan is good, coolant isn't old and the radiator has been sprayed clean and is not plugged.

Obviously things like bad fan CLUTCHEs, or in my case about a year ago, extremely worn spark plugs can cause overheating, but combined with a weeping WP, its the obvious plan of action to pull it for inspection. Once you get the belt off, you can assess the bearings by grabbing the pulley, once you pull th pump, youll be able to check the rotor vanes for wear.

TL=DR ; pull it and find out.

the water pump is a direct connection from the pulley touching the belt to the pump wheel, so it will still be spinning normally. Check the main fan clutch like xcm said. Also maybe try a coolant flush?

Taking out the water pump would be a good way to trouble shoot the problem, but it takes a while the first time you do it :(

Check the weep port on your water pump to see if it is stained, and if it is then it is time for a total new pump, not just a reseal of the pump.

Back