• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wipers make clunk noise

DaveW

NAXJA Forum User
My front wipers started making a clunk noise when each time the
wipers start a cycle. From the sound I would suspect loose linkage
or a loose motor.

Has anyone else experienced such a problem.

Also, I have not had time to take a good look but how do you get
to the motor and linkage? I expect access must be under the dash.

DaveW

There have been postings about replacing the bushings in the linkage, do a search.

To remove the wiper linkage you will first remove the wiper arm assemblies from the shafts sticking through the cowl. On my XJ you use a screwdriver to move out the tab to unlock the arm. Once you do this then pull off the arm. With the arms removed remove all the screws in the cowl panel and lift it off. You will see the mechanism, remove the bolts and lift out.

I went to the dealer and got a new mechanism for my 88 XJ. I was 500 miles from home when my wipers were pounding the window trim and it was raining the whole time I was gone. I had to buy the mechanism and an adaptor for the electrical harness. The adaptor connected to the GM connector on my chassis harness and the chrysler connector on the new wiper linkage assy. The wiper linkage assy comes with a motor, it is a complete unit.

I have read people installing the bushings from the parts store and end up with a rebuilt linkage assy.

The bushing kit is available in the HELP! line of blister card parts in every parts chain. Part number 49445. There are 6 bushings in the kit -- you use the three small ones and discard the three large ones. Dunno what they fit or why they are in there -- I haven't seen anything on an XJ that they fit.

I was finally able to look at it. It did turn out to be a loose bolt holding the motor to the mounting bracket.
After removing the cowl cover I could hear the cluck and see some shiny metal shavings, but I could not see where it hit.
I had to unbolt the whole unit (motor and linkage). I was then able to rotate the unit and see the bolt had turned out about 1/2 inch.
Tighten the bolt and replace the unit. Works great now.
Living in a desert the wipers just don't get much use.

I would like to respond to Martins comment about the replaced bushings. They work great! I have done three replacements, all on different XJ's without problems. Quality of installation could have been the reason for poor results. $5 and a little time is a lot less than $140+ and the same time. Don't shy away from using the bushings from HELP! Can't argue with the quality of OEM parts, just the cost of some of the items.

Back