• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

carrier bearing fit?

uplandhawaii

NAXJA Forum User
I have a quick question on the carrier bearing fit on the D35. I was helping a friend change gears yesterday. Everything was set up correctly but on his new carrier the right side bearing can be pulled off by hand. We pressed it on but when we went to install it he was able to move it and when he tried he could pull off the bearing with some struggle.

Is it okay to run it like that? All the parts are new including the carrier. He hasn't taken it out for a test ride yet, we just finished it last night. Is he going to screw up anything but driving it?

TIA,
upland

sounds like he spun a bearing. thats not good and the case should be replaced. I might have a used one in my scrap pile. limited slip maybe even.

If it's a new carrier I would mike both sides, it's possible he got a bad one or the bearing in question could be the wrong one too...

The inner race is too big or the shaft on the carrier is too small. May have spun a bearing in the past and chewed up the shaft some.
An old trick, is to knurl (SP) the shaft, notch the shaft every 1/4" or so with a cold chisel, where the bearing is supposed to sit and press it on there. Don´t overdo the notches, you want bearing on there tight, without having to use thousands of pounds of pressure, to press it on there. Try to keep the notches evenly spaced and as uniform as possible. A machinist (old), can do it for you, with a press.
The right size bearing and/or the proper sized carrier are the preferred repair, but notching is an alternative.

Thanks for the info guys I'll relay the message. Its a new carrier and new bearings with the gear install kit. I'll tell him about the knurling and see what he wants to do. I'm sure he can return the carrier, I just don't know if he wants to be without his jeep for that long!

Back