• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front DS Slip-Joint Sleeve

BADaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
i've got a front driveshaft that was siezed up from being compressed all the way. tried to pull it apart and it wouldn't budge so i ended up chaining it to a tree and hooking the winch onto the other end:laugh:. it finally popped and flew apart. upon first inspection the splines looked fine and it was smooth until the last third of compression. i discovered that there is a blue teflon/plastic like sleeve that goes between the splines of the shaft and yoke and it had worn out and jammed/ bunched up at the end, causing the seizure. anyone know if that is a replaceable part? i finally got the ruined one out but now the joint has slop in it because of the gap where the sleeve used to be... i'd like to replace the sleeve instead of a whole new shaft since i recently put new u-joints and cv/ centering joint into this one.:brickwall
Thanks!

Actually, I would. I had some of this blue sleeve sticking out, and with it came slop in my front shaft. I finally did something about it when I put drop brackets on and the shaft was too short, my local driveshaft guy said he would have to replace the worn out slip joint, so he just sold me a new shaft.

I drove a couple hours on the highway while the driveshaft was out, and was amazed at how smooth it drove, I guess I hadn't noticed the vibes before.

As for the OP, I would take it to a local shop and see what they can do.

yeah, i'm definitely not going to put it back in until it's fixed or replaced, there is quite a bit of slop in the joint without the sleeve...

Back