• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cut and Fold Lower QP w/ OEM Bumper

notamos

NAXJA Forum User
I have a Detours Tailbone tire carrier, which uses the stock bumper skin. I'm interested in cutting/folding my lower quarter panels but am not sure how to give that combo a finished look. Any ideas on end caps/mods that could be done to the bumper to "finish" it? I can't find any aftermarket parts that would help...

Jcr and dirtbound use a small angled piece that bolts on the end caps and kinda points towards the tire (if that makes any sense) to give it a finished look.

Just check out their bumpers and copy it, looks like it would be very easy to make...

I just cut out some caps from some sheet metal and welded them in from the inside. Looks better than leaving it open. For the time being at least.

274B1E00-1069-4517-8D8F-1A1F20A8F9B1_zpsx7qmfp9t.jpg

I have a Detours Tailbone tire carrier, which uses the stock bumper skin. I'm interested in cutting/folding my lower quarter panels but am not sure how to give that combo a finished look. Any ideas on end caps/mods that could be done to the bumper to "finish" it? I can't find any aftermarket parts that would help...

In my experience, it was the ends of the stock bumper is what kept getting landed on, not the sides.
After the cut and fold, I built a bumper with raise ends that would not be as likely to be hit and if they were, would survive without serious damage.
2 X 2 square tube side rails give some protection to the tender sheet metal above the cut and fold.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/sets/72157630992095828/

lazyxj,
That's one of the better eye appealing designs, and obviously very functional.

:thumbup:

My bumper ends self clearanced even before the cut and fold. Basically just angled up from where the tailbone mounts to the bumper. I was going to cut the bumper to taper up, but smashing it on rocks took care of that for me.

Back