• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock 15x8 JEEP wheels, how many styles have there been?

well starting with the SE package, two styles referred to as beercan, older ones has rectangular cuts, newer ones had triangular or can opener style holes.
Sports had 5 spoke steel wheels
Next up were gamblers w/10 holes, then canyon, then 5 spoke aluminum both flat and polished. Then another aluminum with 5 holes, then older aluminums with a bunch of wire wheel looking spokes, those were in silver, gold and black.
Theres a few more, someone on here has been collecting pics so if you get lucky he'll pipe up...

Did XJ's ever come with a stock 15x8?

All I've ever had stock was 15x7.

Dirk Pitt said:
Did XJ's ever come with a stock 15x8? All I've ever had stock was 15x7.

All of the stock STEEL wheels were 15x7, as far as I know. The only stock wheels that were ever 15x8 were some of the aluminum ones available as an option or with certain packages (and not all of those, I don't believe).

None of my XJ brochures show a 15x8 wheels as an option on the XJ.
I know the early TJ 5 hole aluminum wheel is 15x8 as well as the popular Canyon wheel. The new Unlimited wheels (Ravine) are 15x8.
All the 16" wheels for the XJ were 7".

RichP said:
well starting with the SE package, two styles referred to as beercan, older ones has rectangular cuts, newer ones had triangular or can opener style holes.
Sports had 5 spoke steel wheels
Next up were gamblers w/10 holes, then canyon, then 5 spoke aluminum both flat and polished. Then another aluminum with 5 holes, then older aluminums with a bunch of wire wheel looking spokes, those were in silver, gold and black.
Theres a few more, someone on here has been collecting pics so if you get lucky he'll pipe up...
Rich, most of those are 15x7, and the old steel rims with the (9) recatngular slots were 15x6.

The only two I can think of that were 15x8 were the Gambler and the Canyon (the TJ version, not the ZJ version).

dmillion said:
All of the stock STEEL wheels were 15x7, as far as I know.
There was also a stock 15x6 steelie - that was the BASE model wheel.

None on XJ's. TJ's had a few.

Canyons
aly9024.jpg

Unknown
ch77.jpg

Gamblers
aly9007.jpg

What were these called? Pretty sure they were 15x7 but now I'm curious...
93xj.jpg

Holy Molie? Nahh...that's Larry's sister! (Lord, I apologize...blah-blah...pygmies...) :laugh3:

The holy molies I've seen have been on sport models.

Mine (91) has knobs that almost look like bead locks (okay, that's a stretch) others I've seen are smooth. (92, that I'm looking at buying)

holymoly1.jpg

holymoly2.jpg

Daryl

(edit) beat me to it. I got distracted before finishing what I was saying.

sjx40250 said:
Didn't ZJ/WJ use the canyon also?
Yes, the ZJ used a version of the Canyon rim, but in 15x7 rather than 15x8

Yucca-Man said:
What were these called? Pretty sure they were 15x7 but now I'm curious...
93xj.jpg
In the 96 Jeep Book there are known as "Aluminum 10 Hole" wheel. It is 15x7.

sjx40250 said:
Didn't ZJ/WJ use the canyon also?
The ZJ had a look-a-like wheel called "Sport 15x7". The WJ didn't use a similiar looking Canyon style wheel.
The 15x8 Canyons are on the bottom vs the ZJ wheel on top.
xj_wheel_canyon_vs_zj_sport_alum.jpg

Here's the Ravine 15x8 wheels from the Unlimited. These usually go for a little cheaper than the 16x8 Moab wheels on the Rubicon. (Tires for the 15" are cheaper too) :D
f6_1_b.JPG

Last edited:
What about the laced alum. wheel that came on the Country editions?

BayouXJ said:
Thanks for all the help.

One last question on this topic, has anyone seen or heard of a grizzly in a 15x8?
Grizzly wheels are 15x7

robz95xj said:
What about the laced alum. wheel that came on the Country editions?
ditto, 15x7.

...the other ones you're think of, also 15x7.

...yep those too.

Last edited:
Back