• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MOOG joints

Hippie Metal

NAXJA Forum User
Just bought a set of moog ball joints. None the grease fitting holes are tapped, has anybody else dealt with this crap?

Posted here cause i really don't consider this tech

Last edited:
MOOG ball joints aren't any good these days. The factory Spicers last much longer and are far cheaper. Amazon often has the best price.

On my 01 XJ my factory Spicers went 270,000 miles on 235/75R15 with lots of highway miles plus the dirt roads on my property. The MOOG's lasted 27,000 miles ... until I did about 10 miles on Imogene Pass, a rocky Jeep trail. I replaced them with Spicers and they've been fine ever since.

I also run Spicers on my 97 XJ which has a mild lift with 30's and has seen more off roading than the 01 XJ and the Spicers show no signs of premature failure.

The other nice thing about the Spicers is that the press fit isn't grooved so it doesn't eat into the axle C's.

As far as grease fittings go, my understanding is the fittings are sort of 'self-tapping'. Press hard and try to keep them level as you drive them in. This is what I ended up doing a few weeks ago. Worked fine.

As far as grease fittings go, my understanding is the fittings are sort of 'self-tapping'. Press hard and try to keep them level as you drive them in. This is what I ended up doing a few weeks ago. Worked fine.

Only if its a press in zerk. Instead of threads it has what looks like barbs and no hex. --->
Z-B-xwfo5oy.JPG

They are most likely 1/4-28...

Back