• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WTF!

Oatmeal

NAXJA Forum User
Don't know if I'm posting in the correct section but, I do have a modified shift linkage.

I'm at my wits end. Maybe you guys have an idea what's going on here.
My Jeep is a 96' with an AW4.
Whenever I shift into 4hi, it makes a loud rumbling/vibrating noise, only in 4hi, mind you not in low range, then when I shift back into 2hi it will keep doing it (like it's stuck in 4hi but, the part time indicator light will go out) , I have to stop and back up a couple of feet and then it'll disengage.
Thinking my t case was about to take a crap, I had it completely rebuilt, too lazy to do it myself.
Well my linkage was all worn out so, I replaced it with an Azzy's Design Works rod end linkage kit and figured all would be well but, it's still doing it! So, help! I'm ready to pull my hair out! Before you ask, motor and trans mounts are new and no t case drop. Has a slip yoke eliminator and CV shaft.
Hans

Don't know if I'm posting in the correct section but, I do have a modified shift linkage.

I'm at my wits end. Maybe you guys have an idea what's going on here.
My Jeep is a 96' with an AW4.
Whenever I shift into 4hi, it makes a loud rumbling/vibrating noise, only in 4hi, mind you not in low range, then when I shift back into 2hi it will keep doing it (like it's stuck in 4hi but, the part time indicator light will go out) , I have to stop and back up a couple of feet and then it'll disengage.
Thinking my t case was about to take a crap, I had it completely rebuilt, too lazy to do it myself.
Well my linkage was all worn out so, I replaced it with an Azzy's Design Works rod end linkage kit and figured all would be well but, it's still doing it! So, help! I'm ready to pull my hair out! Before you ask, motor and trans mounts are new and no t case drop. Has a slip yoke eliminator and CV shaft.
Hans
Only thing I can think of is the linkage is out of adjustment just enough for it to not engage properly back into 2wd. Almost sounds like it’s caught between 2HI & 4HI. When I had put in the boostwerks linkage, it took a while to get it adjusted just right for it to work. Sorry if that doesn’t help.:dunno:

You could probably eliminate the linkage question by removing the linkage and shifting it from underneath the vehicle. See if the problem persists or not without linkage in place. If it goes away you know you have an issue with linkage adjustment. If it persists you know you need to look deeper.

If the issue persists, is it possible there is a problem with your front driveshaft? Worn out centering ball perhaps (that is a part that seems to get overlooked a lot)? Removal of the driveshaft might be useful for diagnosis.

Is it possible that whoever rebuilt the T-case did not resolve a real problem with the T-case? I have to ask because I am usually disappointed with the quality of other people's work.

Thought that too, spent hours dicking with the adjustments.
Thing is, it never gave me any issues for the longest time till, I took it out desert wheeling and was screwing around putting a wheel up some big rocks to check the articulation and noticed the noise/wouldn't come out of 4hi issues afterwards, thought it was just a coincidence that my t case was dying.....it had about 320,000 miles on it.
Have a cable set up as well (see my previous post)
Hans

You could probably eliminate the linkage question by removing the linkage and shifting it from underneath the vehicle. See if the problem persists or not without linkage in place. If it goes away you know you have an issue with linkage adjustment. If it persists you know you need to look deeper.

If the issue persists, is it possible there is a problem with your front driveshaft? Worn out centering ball perhaps (that is a part that seems to get overlooked a lot)? Removal of the driveshaft might be useful for diagnosis.

Is it possible that whoever rebuilt the T-case did not resolve a real problem with the T-case? I have to ask because I am usually disappointed with the quality of other people's work.
Shaft is pretty new.
I trust the guy that did the work, has a solid reputation.
I supplied all the parts (everything was replaced).....I just can figure out why it only manifests in 4h.
Hansi

Removing the linkage and shifting from underneath is a good idea. Just so tired of working on it, I want to wheel it!
Hans

are you shifting to the indicators on the bezel? After I installed Azzy's linkage, my 2H/4H/4L indicators weren't much use. I wheel primarily in 2H and 4L so I shift until I hit the end of the range. Maybe experiment with shifting a bit short or beyond 4H, then see where that lands on the indicator. You can usually feel when it engages.

are you shifting to the indicators on the bezel? After I installed Azzy's linkage, my 2H/4H/4L indicators weren't much use. I wheel primarily in 2H and 4L so I shift until I hit the end of the range. Maybe experiment with shifting a bit short or beyond 4H, then see where that lands on the indicator. You can usually feel when it engages.[/QUOTE

Yeah, I tried that too. It's doing exactly the same shit it was before the rebuild and the linkage change. I did, however, have to grind the lower arm for clearance, it was contacting the t case housing and not allowing full disengagement back to 2hi
Besides, I don't think there are actual detents for the various modes are there? Just the gate between 4hi and N/4lo, right?
Hans

Looking over some rebuilding articles, they mention worn range forks, at the pin and sector plates. I supplied the rebuilder with a new fork but, he said it didn't need to be replaced.
Now I beginning to wonder!
Hans

aw hell.

something sounds off, there isn't a ton of room in there, but the lever shouldn't contact the case...

aw hell.

something sounds off, there isn't a ton of room in there, but the lever shouldn't contact the case...
With the Azzy's kit the lever is flipped so it swings towards the back in 2hi. It was hitting the case before it could shift back to 2hi so, I had to grind the lever so it would have enough room.
Hans

Update
Well, changed the linkage to the cable set up (easier to adjust and smoother shifting) but, same issue, pulled the front shaft and noise is gone.
It's not the shaft, it's new.
Only logical answer is, it's the front r&p.....haven't pulled the cover yet, dreading it! Noise only with 4wd engaged (only with a load?) Btw, 4.88s with an ARB if it matters.
Hans

Back