• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Idle Issues

BADaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
'91 4.0L: when i start it up and it's cold outside, it idles up to about 2k RPM until it warms up then it idles normally for the most part. but if it idles for any extended amount of time, it will once and a while sound like it wants to die. it's just a real quick sputter, like a mis-fire/ back-fire almost. it's fine for the most part but once in a while it's just a real quick sputter, like when the aux fan or a/c kicks on in a car... sounds like the high idle could be a vacuum leak but would that make sense if it goes away when it warms up? what about the IAC? do you think the fuel pump could be the surging/cutting issue?
thanks

should be in oem tech, but

could be dirty/sticking iac

could be loose intake/exhaust manifold bolts. once the manifolds heat up it could seal the leak.

if you suspect a fuel pump issue, put a gauge on the fuel line and test it.

yeah, you're right... i posted in the wrong forum. my bad, i haven't been on for a while and wasn't thinking... i'm going to try cleaning everything and checking the usuals as i haven't really looked into it yet, just looking for ideas right now since i havent had time to tear into it. thanks

Back