NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old April 14th, 2019, 18:15
NAXJA Forum User

Gas Tank Question

Hello,

I have a 96 XJ and have been maintaining it to the best of my ability (college student = not much cash) but ive been trying and its fairly well maintained I would say.

I noticed a gas smell the other day after shutting it off and walking behind, it so I crawled under there and I saw gas droplets from the hose going from the pump to the filter. The hose didnt look like it was in good condition at all, so I decided to go ahead and replace all the fuel lines that looked bad. I bought fuel pressure rated hoses and replaced the hose going from the pump to the filter, also replaced the small hose that connects the other side of the filter to the hard line.

I also noticed that the "roll-over vent" hose going from the T-adapter to the left side of the tank had a hole in it. I couldnt get to the actual valve without dropping the tank so I cut the section that had a hole in it and I bought the right size ID hose and a universal plastic hose connector and connected the hoses together to get the right length and connected it back to the T-adapter.

I went to fill gas today and I opened the gas cap and there was a ton of pressure in there, it hissed for quite a bit. This hasnt happened before and I have a relatively new (PO put it on not me) Stant gas cap. Im not sure why this happened but I'm thinking the ID of the connector is smaller than the ID of the hose so maybe its not venting enough? But then again, Im not sure what these "roll-over vent" hoses are for, not even sure thats what theyre called. So can anyone explain to me the function of these hoses and what the causes might be for the extra pressure in the fuel tank?

Also, I replaced my filter around 20k miles ago, how often should I replace my filter?

Thank you for the support,
Laith
Old April 14th, 2019, 19:09
NAXJA Member

Re: Gas Tank Question

I had that problem for a long time. Turned out the line up to the charcoal canister was clogged. Blew it out with compressed air and all good. I doubt the splice you added has clogged the line enough to cause that. Those valves are designed to vent pressure and close if they invert.
Old April 14th, 2019, 21:17
Stranger

I expect the reason you never had pressure build up before is because you had a hole in the hose.

Baby it's cold outside.
Old April 15th, 2019, 10:13
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippled View Post
I had that problem for a long time. Turned out the line up to the charcoal canister was clogged. Blew it out with compressed air and all good. I doubt the splice you added has clogged the line enough to cause that. Those valves are designed to vent pressure and close if they invert.
Yeah thatís why I was confused cause I doubted the splice would cause that much pressure buildup. Which line did you blow out? Iíve never messed with the charcoal canister and Iím not even sure I know where itís located. Can you please let me know what/where you did so I can try it out. Hopefully that will solve my issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
I expect the reason you never had pressure build up before is because you had a hole in the hose.
But I thought that much pressure is not normal and the cap is supposed to vent pressure if it builds up that much? Also, that means that the splice I added caused it to overpressurize the tank?

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.
Old April 15th, 2019, 12:54
NAXJA Member #920

I think he means that where it is supposed to vent through is blocked up, and it's been relieving the pressure through that hole you fixed.

I think the charcoal canister is up in the engine bay on the firewall, near the passenger side, have a look at this link: https://www.autozone.com/repairguide...00c152800a9ba2
Old April 15th, 2019, 19:38
NAXJA Member

Canister is up front by washer reservoir. There's a smaller vacuum line that runs behind the engine to a metal line. Disconnect it and also the small vent line at the tank. Then you can blow it out