• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Disabling passenger airbag

Chancer

NAXJA Forum User
I wondered if anyone knew which fuse I can pull to disable the passenger airbag on a 98 sport? This is to allow us to fit a rear-facing baby seat.

Two fuses (27 & 28 IIRC) control the airbags, but looking at the fuse diagram requires you to have a bloody degree in electrical engineering, and to my untrained eye it looked like a double failsafe system, which was really confusing.

Any ideas?

Thanks, that's a useful bit of info, but I line in the UK, so we've got different rules. I particularly like the following:

Q10: Should I put a rear-facing infant seat in the front seat of a vehicle with a passenger side air bag?
A: No. Unless the vehicle is equipped with a cut-off switch for the air bag and the air bag is shut off, under absolutely no circumstances should a parent place a rear-facing infant seat in front of an air bag. There is an extremely high risk of severe injury or fatality in this situation, and a child should never be subjected to this risk. Even if the air bag is shut off or there is no air bag, the safest place for all children 12 and under is in the rear seat.

And then there are Jeeps, which haven't got long enough seatbelts in the back to accommodate a rear facing car seat, and where the front ones barely fit one. Genius! How do fat people cope? Buy a Grand possibly...?

You can get seatbelt extensions at a local dealership. You can always permanently disable the bag by cutting the squib wire going to the airbag itself.

Back