• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

delay wiper bypass

Devil_Mutt

NAXJA Member #1244
Here is the deal. My wiper switch on my 90 XJ has gone south. A new one is gonna run me bout $85 cause it has tilt and delay wipers. Question... can I unplug the connectors on my delay module under the dash, plug the two connectors together thus bypassing the delay module and then run a switch for just a tilt column witch is only about $35?

yes. But if you unplug the module you'll also lose the park unction of the wipers and the windshield washer won't work right I believe it will trigger the pump and not the wipers. I did it when my delay module went south. You'll get two speeds, and the wipers will stop whereever they are on the windshield when you turn them off.

87manche said:
yes. But if you unplug the module you'll also lose the park unction of the wipers and the windshield washer won't work right I believe it will trigger the pump and not the wipers. I did it when my delay module went south. You'll get two speeds, and the wipers will stop whereever they are on the windshield when you turn them off.

wow you just completely described my situation. previous owner must have bypassed it. where should the switch be? i might go to the junkyard for one
91 XJ 4.0 AW4

p.s. sorry for the hijack but i think he answered your question pretty thuroughly.

91Limited said:
wow you just completely described my situation. previous owner must have bypassed it. where should the switch be? i might go to the junkyard for one
91 XJ 4.0 AW4

p.s. sorry for the hijack but i think he answered your question pretty thuroughly.

X-2
Mine also. I'll try the junkyard first. This is a GREAT site.

Last edited:
The box on mine died, but the high speeds still work fine. I have an aftermarket pulse wiper setup to install one of these days.

the box on mine is a small gray box, bout the size of a deck of cards, velcroed (spl?) under the dash right in front of my left knee. It has a wiring harness plugged into each end of it. ( or should have )

Devil_Mutt said:
the box on mine is a small gray box, bout the size of a deck of cards, velcroed (spl?) under the dash right in front of my left knee. It has a wiring harness plugged into each end of it. ( or should have )
yep. And the female and male ends plug into eachother, so if it's been removed you'll just see a big connector. On my 87 I think it's a double row connector, with probably 12 pins.

Back