• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clayton 4.5 leafs

MickeyS

NAXJA Forum User
I'm putting together my final lift options and it's between a custom set up i've concocted and the claytons 4.5 LA lift.

My custom kit has the 4" Medium or Heavy OME leafs and the Clayton one comes with their 4.5" leafs, and i'm wondering if anyone has experience with either. the clayton seems to command quite a premium, and at that point i might as well go with deavers, which just seem overpriced for me. I don't foresee heavy duty wheeling or jeepspeed like driving, mostly moderate trails and 31-33 tires max.

I have no input for your dilemma, but I am wondering if the build is for maximum off-road durability and capability, or for a smaller sized budget ? If you are not into HD wheeling/Jeepspeed, there are other decent quality and durable brands and lift options. My 4x4 events are mostly in the Midwestern woods, and trips to Moab. I have found my Rubicon Express 5.5 inch short arm lift with Control Arm drop brackets to be acceptable on pavement and perform well in Moab. My build was definitely guided by a tight budget, and the money I saved on lift kit parts was used for front and rear lockers.

I want to do the lift once, not decide later i need a long arm, different spring rate, etc. i don't mind spending a little but more to do it once and make it right, but $3k for a nice lift on the overlander is a bit hard to swallow. worth it for me to get it done proper. one could spend 1500-2k and have a mediocre ride wishing they just did it right the first time.

MickeyS;246628968 My custom kit has the 4" Medium or Heavy OME leafs and the Clayton one comes with their 4.5" leafs said:
In the past I have ran OME's medium duty springs. I got more lift than projected.
With tall springs, you will need extended shackles, which will raise it another inch or so. You many also need new shackle boxes, such as HD Offroad no lift kit, to improve the shackle angles.
https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1097581&highlight=lift+shackle
https://www.hdoffroadengineering.co...oducts/no-lift-xj-shackle-relocation-brackets

If running 31"s or 33"s, 4" of lift is more than adequate for good suspension travel, while not raising the COG too high.

I have the 6.5 Clayton leafs (same as the 4.5" with 2 extra leafs) and they've been fine. They flex great and haven't sagged a bit from what I can tell in the 2.5 years I've had them installed.

Compared to my 3" OMEs + 1" extra leaf:
t2LP8cAh.jpg

Back