• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Daily Driver Build and Plan - Jay's WIP

J308

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,

I am trying to build a nice DD/ light wheeling XJ from a clapped-out P.O.S. 170k-mile Craigslist special, on a budget! I'm going to try to document as much of the work as possible and I will keep an updated link to the current build index in my sig.

So far the lift is done as of last weekend... Thanks to NAXJA members Cnickgo, UNCC_99XJ and J Pugh, the project finally shows promise.

Planned updates are for the following, in no particular order (but pretty darned close):

Mechanical issues:
Suspension and lift w/ full leaf pack. (done 2/18/2012)
Fan clutch for temp climbing while stopped (done 2/18/2012)
ZJ Tie Rod upgrade (done 2/18/2012)
Battery cables and ground cables.
Coolant flush.
Fluid changes. (diff, trans x3, oil...)
Headlamp upgrade, cheap and bright.
Fix reverse lights, Tim said probably the N/S switch needs cleaning
Get the blower motor working.
Fix exterior leaks and passenger front window regulator.
Fix rust and reinstall carpet.
Bump stops.
Aux lighting.
Optima battery, not sure which one yet.
ZJ discs + rear locker or 8.8 w/discs... ?
*U-joints at the same time.
31 inch tires, probably BFG ATs but open to suggestions.
*Replace lugs and probably studs. Mine have been WAY overtorqued.
*Maybe some Eccos at the same time.

Somewhere in there, fix the cosmetic issues:
Clearance the fenders and raise the flares, going for OEM+ look here.
Get most of the dents out, but I'd rather have a small wave than a hunk of filler.
Recover headliner.
Budget speaker upgrade, doors and soundbar.
LED lighting wherever reasonable.
Clean and re-dye the interior parts if necessary.
ZJ seat upgrade.
Replace grille.
Replace and possibly upgrade bumpers.
Fix peeling door window moldings (the black plastic covered chrome pieces)
Paint.
Windshield.

...And that's all I can remember for now. It's a big project, and the result will be a very mild rig. I know I could've started with a nicer late-model, but I like older vehicles and OBD1 was a must for me.

Please feel free to discuss, criticize and make suggestions, even if the thread goes way off-topic I'll keep the index link updated in my sig. Stay tuned for updates and wish me luck!

--Jay

Last edited:
The lift, from my original "ask for help" thread.

Finally back home. The snow that people thought wasn't going to amount to much of anything tonight in Winston actually amounted to something...snowy roads, plus people not ready for it = lots of accidents and no more then 45mph on the highway for an hour or so. Anyways...the pictures:

As it was when the day started, bone stock with some rust and a lot of mud:

IMG_1842.jpg

Brake rotors have many uses...including pressing in leaf spring bushings:

IMG_1843.jpg

A sight we're all familiar with...multiple bodies under a Jeep:

IMG_1844.jpg

Please don't break...please don't break:

IMG_1850.jpg

Nick wasn't so lucky...:

IMG_1849.jpg

Attempting to remove it with an easy out, failed. Attempting to drill it out and re-tap the hole, also failed:

IMG_1852.jpg

Plan C...BPE's:

IMG_1854.jpg

New leaf pack and shock installed:

IMG_1855.jpg

Back end done, front end next up:

IMG_1856.jpg

It got dark and we were quickly running out of energy, so no action shots of the front end. New coil and shock installed:

IMG_1858.jpg

Nick and I got bored while waiting for John and Jay to return from attempt number two at finding a replacement tie rod end at the end of the night:

http://s840.photobucket.com/albums/...ft Feb 2012/?action=view&current=MVI_1857.mp4

The finished product:

IMG_1859.jpg

Work began at 8:30am and finished at 9:30pm. At the end of 13 hours, the Jeep has a very nice 2" OME lift, BPE's for the rear, ZJ tie rod upgrade with new end, a new fan clutch to get it on the road to not overheating any more, and Jay i'm sure has a much longer list of "to do's" now than he did when we started. More importantly, we made the Jeep much safer to drive on the road by a pretty good driveway alignment, and replacing some very worn out suspension components.

As always, it was a good time helping a fellow Jeeper in need!

Don't get an optima. They are not what they use to be. There are some good AMG batteries out there. Others will tell you what ones are best. That is something I need to do. Been hoping for 2 years now to win one at the Crawl.

Don't get an optima. They are not what they use to be. There are some good AMG batteries out there. Others will tell you what ones are best. That is something I need to do. Been hoping for 2 years now to win one at the Crawl.

Oh yeah? That's good to know. I've had Optima in the past and it was the recommended thing at the time. It didn't occur to me that there was some competition out there for them.

Just a quick check looks like there are some cheaper options out there too.. so, I'll do some research before I buy. Thanks for the tip!
:cheers:

"ZJ disks + locker or 8.8 with discs"

Since you only plan to run 31's I'd stick with the stock 8.25 and add the ZJ discs.

The 8.25 will hold 31's perfectly fine. I feel like an 8.8 would be a huge anchor with 31's. I run 35's and still get hung on the 8.8 all the time.

Tho, I'd add a locker in the front before I would in the back but that's just personal preference.

Looks like a good plan.

A few years ago Optima moved their production to Mexico, and quality took a pretty good hit. I was working at Advance not long after the move and warrantied out quite a few of them.

I'll agree with the 8.25 and disc conversion over 8.8. If you ever plan to go bigger, then I would consider the 8.8. The 8.25 is plenty strong for 31's and a DD/Weekend Wheeler set up.

Looks good, Love my OME set up! :D

This was the first OME lift I ever installed on...well, anything :D and I was extremely impressed with the quality. Now I see why they get all the excellent reviews that they do!

Yeah, I'm liking the way it rides, definitely... Although I think we measured it out at near 3" for the 2" kit... day of lift so it hasn't settled. Not that I'm complaining. :D

This was the first OME lift I ever installed on...well, anything :D and I was extremely impressed with the quality. Now I see why they get all the excellent reviews that they do!

Well, it was my first leaf anything, so I know exactly jack. but I'm happy that they impressed you because you guys know your stuff.

"ZJ disks + locker or 8.8 with discs"

Since you only plan to run 31's I'd stick with the stock 8.25 and add the ZJ discs.

The 8.25 will hold 31's perfectly fine. I feel like an 8.8 would be a huge anchor with 31's. I run 35's and still get hung on the 8.8 all the time.

Tho, I'd add a locker in the front before I would in the back but that's just personal preference.

Looks like a good plan.
Thanks! :cheers:

RE: the 8.8, when you say anchor, do you mean from a ground clearance standpoint?

Also, I've been reading my tail off, and I'm one of the things I've seen is that a front (lunchbox) locker can be a pain on a DD, locking on pavement when you don't want it to, etc.

A few years ago Optima moved their production to Mexico, and quality took a pretty good hit. I was working at Advance not long after the move and warrantied out quite a few of them.

I'll agree with the 8.25 and disc conversion over 8.8. If you ever plan to go bigger, then I would consider the 8.8. The 8.25 is plenty strong for 31's and a DD/Weekend Wheeler set up.

Ah, ok. That all makes sense. Hopefully the rear disc conversion isn't too bad, but I have a feeling the axles have to come out. I'm going to try to read up on it today. Maybe I can con Nick into a Pick N Pull trip, lol.

I either need to rear disc swap ASAP or adjust the drums I know nothing about, because during the TRE run with Pugh I told him that when I hit the brakes the rears lock up immediately. Thinking about slick roads this morning made me recall this, and I when I really think about it, it would probably go out of control in even light rain. Cream puff!

I wheeled mine open/open and had a blast. It had a full time case and 32's, D30/8.25. I kind of wish it was still that way. Fun to drive and less broken parts when wheeling.

Get a Group 34/78DT (9A78DT) Co-op Extreme Magna Power AGM/Deka Intimidator/O'Reill's Super Start AGM(???) for a great battery. You will spend $150 but it is worth it. Or you can try to win one at the Crawl in July.

RE: the 8.8, when you say anchor, do you mean from a ground clearance standpoint?

Also, I've been reading my tail off, and I'm one of the things I've seen is that a front (lunchbox) locker can be a pain on a DD, locking on pavement when you don't want it to, etc.

The 8.8 hangs a little lower than the D35 or the Chryco 8.25. I wheeled both and haven't have issues yet. I've rubbed a few more times with the 8.8 but that hasn't caused an issue. I have no locking or chirping or anything out of my Aussie Locker in the front axle and I DD it a fair amount.

Get a Group 34/78DT (9A78DT) Co-op Extreme Magna Power AGM/Deka Intimidator/O'Reilly's Super Start AGM(???) for a great battery. You will spend $150 but it is worth it. Or you can try to win one at the Crawl in July.

If that is the one that I won at the Crawl last year, it is a primo battery, no doubt.

Andy, shut up, 8.8's are the Bee's Knees! :D They are a bit bigger than an 8.25 or 35 but not enough to matter IMO.

I like my 8.8 but only after I made a skid for the bottom of it to get rid of the lip that hangs on everything. I could'nt count the amount of times I was stuck on the 8.8 differential but I've haven't broke a single thing in it in 4 years.

I suggested he stick with the 8.25 simply for the fact that I don't think he really needs it. The type of wheeling he describes the 8.25 will hold up nicely.

I dd'd my Jeep with a loc rite in the front for a long time. On right turns you'll hear a ratcheting noise but as long as it's in 2wd it 'shouldn't' lock at all... If it's working correctly.

:D

My DD that is built almost exactly like he wants still has the 8.25 and it'll stay that way because I think the 8.25 is a fairly strong axle for what it is.

I like my 8.8 but only after I made a skid for the bottom of it to get rid of the lip that hangs on everything. I could'nt count the amount of times I was stuck on the 8.8 differential but I've haven't broke a single thing in it in 4 years.

I suggested he stick with the 8.25 simply for the fact that I don't think he really needs it. The type of wheeling he describes the 8.25 will hold up nicely.

I dd'd my Jeep with a loc rite in the front for a long time. On right turns you'll hear a ratcheting noise but as long as it's in 2wd it 'shouldn't' lock at all... If it's working correctly.

:D

My DD that is built almost exactly like he wants still has the 8.25 and it'll stay that way because I think the 8.25 is a fairly strong axle for what it is.

I DD mine with a Lockright up front too. Its not too bad. makes a little noise but nothing to worry about.

lol right turns. Sounded good to me. :cheers:

The problem with ratcheting, grinding, etc, is that I have family to transport. Most of what I have read say that it doesn't matter much for light-medium wheeling whether it is in the front or rear, because you are still in 3WD if you lose traction on an axle. I understand the school of thought that wants the front axle to be locked for pulling and steering through stuff, but if its close to irrelevant then I'd rather have the least obtrusive.

That, and the fact that I'm going to do a rear disc swap, meaning I have to go into the rear diff anyway if I read correctly (axles have to come out, right?) means it's less effort in the short term. I'd rather land on the side of comfort if the performance is similar.

Back