• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trail Schedule

Doing some math here...

We have 5 trails per day scheduled most days. Two of those day a trail is Pritchett Canyon with a 10 rig limit.

We have 120+ jeeps registered so far... so there may easily be 150 vehicles affiliated with NAXJA in Moab. So, 150 minus the 10 on Pritchett equals 140 Jeeps. If those Jeeps were to run scheduled trail runs and split up evenly (which will not happen!) we would have 35 vehicles per trail per day. On the non-Pritchett days, there should be 30 vehicles per trail. Does anybody else see a problem arising here??

Jared:patriot:

I was a little concerned about this as well. I do know that some people are planning to go off and do their own thing.

But I think that the trail signups are gonna fill up fast. And there will be some people left out with no guidance.

I'm leading Steel Bender on Wednesday. If the need arises, I'd be willing to lead the trail again on another day.

Nope, never considered that. Glad I'm not a trail leader. :moon:

:D

We are prepared to add some trails if needed. Are those of you who are concerned also willing to lead a trail another day? Please contact Jeff.

Doing some math here...

We have 5 trails per day scheduled most days. Two of those day a trail is Pritchett Canyon with a 10 rig limit.

We have 120+ jeeps registered so far... so there may easily be 150 vehicles affiliated with NAXJA in Moab. So, 150 minus the 10 on Pritchett equals 140 Jeeps. If those Jeeps were to run scheduled trail runs and split up evenly (which will not happen!) we would have 35 vehicles per trail per day. On the non-Pritchett days, there should be 30 vehicles per trail. Does anybody else see a problem arising here??

Jared:patriot:

Expressed concerns noted.

Historically, not everyone registered will be there to run the scheduled trails every day. The attendance numbers typically increase as the week progesses. We cannot predict the future or track every attendee and match up their arrival time/day with a trail that they want to run because we have chosen to remain flexible and allow for folks to sign up for trails at the event, instead of a cash pre-commitment of $50 a day per rig and trail slot registration in advance via lottery, as RR4Wheelers do for Jeep Safari. We aren't processing 1,700 registrations like they are either, so we can be flexible and hopefully provide everyone with enough trail options to keep them happy.

We are prepared to add trails each day, should the ones on the schedule completely fill up. In the past, we've also had too many trails on random days in which only 2-3 people signed up....it goes both ways.

We have extra leaders, including myself that are intentionally uncommited to any specific trail, that can lead additional trails if needed.

I have no idea how long it takes to do those trails (Moab first-timer) but just by looking at the schedule it seems like Thursday and Friday might be a problem considering folks might want to get back early to prepare for the Show n Shine and Dinner Program on those nights. I don't mind an all-day trail run but those events are certainly important. Hopefully some more trails will be added. I'd volunteer to lead but I'd get everyone lost... :)

I have no idea how long it takes to do those trails (Moab first-timer) but just by looking at the schedule it seems like Thursday and Friday might be a problem considering folks might want to get back early to prepare for the Show n Shine and Dinner Program on those nights. I don't mind an all-day trail run but those events are certainly important. Hopefully some more trails will be added. I'd volunteer to lead but I'd get everyone lost... :)

Every trail in Moab varies in time by a bunch of variables. Trail length, trail difficulty, break downs and how many vehicles on a particular trail can make all the difference in the world.

Two years ago when I put together a trail list I intentionally left the shorter ones for Friday. Moab rim "should" be one of the shortest trails in the area but when a Member broke a ball joint and the trail leader had to run into town and get parts...they didn't make it to dinner. It's just a risk you have to take sometimes.

We've selected Thursday and Friday's trails, considering the after-trail events.
It's always a balancing act, if a group is delayed due to breakdowns or the trail leader not keeping the group moving, flashfloods, sand storms, pigmy albino kangaroo rat stampedes, etc..... :dunno:

Back