• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical Issue

David_BNSF

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I upgraded my wiring for my battery to starter, alternator and PDC with the 2 awg welding wire and a DB Electrical 136A alternator. Once I did that, my power door locks stopped working at time and would work intermittently. So I was thinking it was the window switches and replaced both of them with new ones and still they don’t work. I have an aftermarket key fob and remote start kit installed as well. The door locks worked perfectly fine before the upgrades on my 99 Cherokee Sport. Any ideas? Thanks for any input.

Gotta take a look at the wires in the door jamb -- Very common for them to break right in the rubber boot -- pull the kick panel on the driver side to get a look at them

That’s what I was thinking but what’s weird is every time I pull the key out of the ignition all the doors lock on their own.

That’s what I was thinking but what’s weird is every time I pull the key out of the ignition all the doors lock on their own.

Ok sounds like a short in lock circuit -- I still bet its in the rubber boot

I chased that key thing for a few days when I 1st had my XJ -- sometimes they worked, sometimes they didn't -- Finally figured out that the doors won't lock with the key in and every time mine wouldn't work it was with the key in -- drove me crazy for a few days

What I bet is happening with yours is you have 2 wires touching in the door boot -- this is activating the door locks -- The key in the ignition overrides the door lock signal -- pull the key and the short is now allowed to lock the doors

Back