• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1991 Laredo Vacuum leak?

wb0rur

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all - 1991 Cherokee XJ 4.0l Laredo. AC blows cold, but I've noticed recently after I've run the vehicle down the road for 20-25 minutes, the amount of air coming out of the vents is reduced and it "sounds" like the blower is stopped up or something. I am assuming this might be a vacuum leak? Any thoughts on where to start looking before I just dive in aimlessly?

Evaporator (inside dash by heater core) icing up?

I don't think so. If I turn off the vehicle (for example, to run into a store quickly) - the AC will blow as it should when I re-start the engine. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the vacuum pull is reduced at highway speed versus "around town". Which leads me to think I've got a small vacuum leak that isn't apparent until I get on the highway. Engine runs great.

Ah, ok. Might want to check the line to the vacuum ball, and the ball itself then - it's supposed to be your buffer against times when vacuum is low.

Usually a vacuum leak would result in all air going to the windshield regardless of selection, if memory serves...

Yeah I was gonna say vaccum ball/cylinder in the bumper.
the line to mine got broken and the heater was terrible during this time.

also since you have a 91. Be sure to remove your fuel pump ballast and connect the two wires.
You can thank me later when the car doesnt randomly stops working.
if you have already removed this. good job.

Back