• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Diesel/marble sounding 4.0 w/ 101K

Ewen91

NAXJA Forum User
Recently I have been getting that diesel and sound of marbles being rolled around together under the hood. I have just over 101,300K mi on this thing it is just recently started doing it. I have changed the oil in it at 99,779 with synthetic Valvoline 10-30. I change my oil more than often, and do not want to be having any noises this early in the game. What can I do to prevent wear/noise in the engine?

My Girlfriend's Xj sounds the same. It has that diesel sound to it. It has been that way as far back as I can remember. Running a thicker weight oil has helped, but its still there. It has plenty of power and runs strong and idles great. Not really sure what is it, but Im gonna try some seafoam in it and see what happens.

+1000 on piston slap. On the last 3 of 4 XJ's I've had they've all had some sort of piston slap. I'm assuming it goes away or is very faint when warm correct?

Doing it all the time: idle-redline, or under acceleration? Besides piston slap or noisy valvetrain, it could be pinging(dirty combustion chamber, valves, piston tops). If so, try 93 octane and see if it's better. If it is, do a seafoam, mopar combustion treatment, water misting to clean the carbon out. Check all the plugs to make sure they're in good condition.

I've done the sea foam, water misting, higher octane, even had the timing chain and lifters changed at the dealership.(received the old parts) The noise is still there and even used up to a 15W50 synthetic oil.

If it's top end then it could be lifters. Try running one quart of trans fluid in the oil for about 50 easy miles. Then change the oil, it may help clean it out.

My 95 has had audible piston slap since I got it at 110K. It now has 262 k, I think. It sounds just the same now. Obviously nothing to worry about. However, at one point the water pump went bad, and the noise of a rattling water pump, which is just about the same frequency, can hide behind the familiar slapping noise, so if you have piston slap, check your water pump occasionally too.

Back