• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Attachment of Unibody stiffeners?

dingo151

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

I was doing some investigating about installing Uni Body stiffeners and I see that the most common way is to do plug welds along the frame rails. Was thinking that looked ok...but I've got access to a Huck rivet gun and was looking for opinions on using some blind Huck rivets and attaching the stiffeners that way instead of by welding?

Thanks
Dean

You could use a Huck tool/rivets to attach the stiffeners, following mfg. recommendations for metal thickness and hole size/spacing.

I still prefer welding for this mod.

Riveting on a unirail stiffener would be a bad idea. Most people plate the rails then build off the plates adding rock sliders mini boat sides exo cages. Rivets no matter the size will not stand up to the chassis flex and movement the stock unibody see's. Plug welds along with stitch welds along the top and inner bottom sides will hold up to the forces it will see offroad.

Long turn out come would prob be fail. The idea of the stiffs are to make the Unibody stronger and cut down on the crazy flex. As well as give a better area to mount things to. Skids,sliders and so on. With the amount the Uni flexes the rivets will over time get loose or even snap heads off. Plus the amount of holes you would need to drill in the body would prob just weaken it more anyway.

I would definitely not use only rivets. It would be interesting to see the long term out come if using rivets + body panel adhesive.

Rivet and glue.....that would be interesting. I still see welding as the preferred method for all the reasons listed above, and because I dislike having to redo stuff. I welded mine on 7yrs ago, with zero long term issues.

IF you go the rivet route and it fails, then the correction will be to go back and weld them on, so you might as well just do it once and be done.

I would definitely not use only rivets. It would be interesting to see the long term out come if using rivets + body panel adhesive.

This!

Rivets & glue..................:sure:

This!

Rivets & glue..................:sure:

Some of the body panel bonder is quite strong, especially considering many modern cars use more if it than weld. It would be interesting to see how it holds up for our needs. However, I don't see it being any cheaper than welding as the panel bonder is quite expensive. Rivets would hold in place temporarily while the adhesive id curing. Of course it would be easier just to weld it on as both require the same prep and welding it an instant bond.

If you're going to go to the trouble of stiffening the unibody, do it right- weld it. Full stop.

Anything else is just jerking around.

Talyn I dig the curiosity and despite the naysayers, I think it "could" work just as well as welding.
The trick, though, to getting a factory quality bond is to get things factory sterile. From what little I've heard, it's exceedingly difficult to get and keep things clean enough for weld-quality adhesion.

If I'm wrong about that, or if advances in the adhesives make them more tolerant, I'm all about it. A thin coat of adhesive & some C-clamps sounds a lot easier and perhaps stronger than a lot of rosette welds & grinding.

EDIT: Rivets, done properly, are permanent. The frame of my '57 is riveted together. I have yet to see any evidence of anything moving, and even once you grind the head off - you have to drive them out with an airhammer. If things are aligned & drilled correctly, I wouldn't hesitate to use a steel rivet to replace each and every spot weld in my Jeep. Aluminum rivet... dunno.

Back