• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Snow Day in Big Bear

itscheesey

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Went out on a little trail run yesterday up in Big Bear to play in the snow. We ran Gold Mountain to Holcomb Valley then down to Pioneer Town to avoid the yuppies. Here are a few of the photos I have from the day. And more are on my Instagram.

I'm going to have to pull some from my Instagram story to add to this.
d4634e27612c91841ba402f8906edded.jpg
9354d24ce58d0a62609a401e1d1dfc23.jpg
ae9da39ee20631693b0322e23f80a757.jpg
f1f5fd2ab88ad30afcbe89b0ffb1065d.jpg
7e5a3c10aaa3fc3fe4d1706bc781643c.jpg
b6ff78fab1bca88662adad87626568fc.jpg
9dd0f13a9eff5920bf4ab4745f174ef7.jpg
bcb3e3c5b5d3c082ff6c473343a6b533.jpg
b54eb3525e1eb093d678ab5f9f0d3f62.jpg
8f3526d02021f964965a81c15f815450.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Looks like fun. The last time I played in the snow was in 2007 early winter. Fun yet scary driving along the unpaved county/farm roads the rural roads of central and north Iowa.

That pick 4th up from the bottom, Is that a full hydro steering I see? Any closer up pics, details, build thread you care to share.

I dream of a double ender ram on a hydraulic steering. Mounting options are a bit vague in my mind.

Looks like you have the new Jeep and are having fun with it.

Awesome.

Now I just have to not mistake it for Al's Jeep. Al has a hood ornament, so I will have to keep an eye out for that detail.

Looks like you have the new Jeep and are having fun with it.

Awesome.

Now I just have to not mistake it for Al's Jeep. Al has a hood ornament, so I will have to keep an eye out for that detail.
Nope this is Marks (sidewaysstarion) Jeep. I will be picking up the new one the first weekend of March. And should be out on the trail the following weekend.

Looks like fun. The last time I played in the snow was in 2007 early winter. Fun yet scary driving along the unpaved county/farm roads the rural roads of central and north Iowa.

That pick 4th up from the bottom, Is that a full hydro steering I see? Any closer up pics, details, build thread you care to share.

I dream of a double ender ram on a hydraulic steering. Mounting options are a bit vague in my mind.

It's a double ended ram being used as a hydro assist.

It's a double ended ram being used as a hydro assist.

That's what I thought,... and connected to the tie rod. Is the ram bolted to the guard or the axle tube?

I assume the steering stabilizer/damper is no longer needed.

That's what I thought,... and connected to the tie rod. Is the ram bolted to the guard or the axle tube?

I assume the steering stabilizer/damper is no longer needed.

This is how the ram is mounted.
https://www.artecindustries.com/DIY_Ram_Mount

And that ties into the truss on the top of the axle, either way, it's not something you could pull off with a Dana 30. I'm running a Currie 609 front axle.

The monkey and I would have been there had we known about it. Looks like we missed some good fun.

d5f1846094846cd74ab696474cb7eeb3.jpg

Yup...maybe next time we'll get invited :twak:
John I'll post up a date for a trail run for next month. Just trying to nail down a date. I'm thinking second Sunday of the month since it's the only day I have available in March.

Proper steering never needs a steering stabilizer.....its a bandaid

I agree with you 100%. After replacing all the consumable parts on the front of my XJ, I drove it over 1,000 miles with no stabilizer at highway speeds in Florida and it performed excellent. Never a shake or shimmy.

All vehicles that I have worked on be it British, Japanese, German or US that have a steering box instead of a rack and pinion are all fitted with a stabilizer of some sort with the most common being a hydraulic tube similar to that on our beloved XJ.

I feel comfortable with a good unit on my XJ so I fitted one.

Back