• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driveline ?'s under hard braking

5Cent

NAXJA Forum User
92 XJ, with 231 tc, 4" of lift, no tc drop or shims. I know/understand that a SYE is the correct way to fix any driveline problems, but currently it is not an option. Under hard braking, or small humps (where driveline is moving out of it's normal position) there is a nasty chattering/grinding sound coming from the rear. No ujoints have been installed since the lift (hopefully this week), but it definitely doesn't sound like them (not humming). What would cause this? There is only 3/4" to an 1" more yoke out of the tcase than stock, so spline contact I do not believe is the problem (not sure). Is there anyway that the ujoint straps or something is making contact somewhere?

The u-joints typically won't make a humming noise. Clicking or squeaking is more common. Check the yokes at the frt and rr. of the driveshaft to see if there is contact. To simulate the position where its a problem, lift the rr so the axle is hanging down. The stock shaft arrangement will make contact at the yokes with not much more down travel than the stock shocks provide. So if you have longer shocks w/ your lift, that is probably where the problem is.

And remember, theres sometimes not enough time(or money) to do it right the first time, but theres always enough to do it over.

Well, it's binding in the rear pinion. Can anyone recommend what inch TC drop and shims they're using for 4" of lift? 8.25 rear end, 231 tc if that's any help. I'll be getting the angles in a few days if no help.

Thanks,
Adam

Back