• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with rumble.

mtbxj87

NAXJA Forum User
89 4dr 4.0 np231 d30/35 235/75's
I have had a rumble in the driveline since I lifted from 2" to 3".
I didn't have this issue before lift.
about 2000 miles before I lifted to 3" I overhauled the dana 35. All the fluids are clean as new and the jeep is obsessively maintained.
After 3" lift I didn't have drive shaft vibrations but a rumbley noise from t case in the steady spot between decal/accel above 40mph.
So I tried shiming the axle, both ways, no help. either way I did get vibes. Replaced DL u joints.
It sounded like the tcase, so I overhauled it, the original bearings and seals looked great, I also replaced the range shift fork to the aluminum one.
Still had the noise.
Today I replaced the stock slip yoke to a YJ yoke and replaced the tailshaft bushing and seal. Also dropped the tcase about 5/8''. Still have the rumble noise.
Im kinda lost on where to go now. 3" doesn't seem enough to do a sye, if I had to id lower it back to 2" before I did sye.
Any suggestions or help would be appreciated- Kyle.

I ran the jeep in the air on a lift. just at idle in gear there is a clicking noise from tcase and gets loud as i accelerate, sounds like its more from the front of the case like the planetary gears. This was done in two wheel drive, the chain was not turning.

Back