• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OBD1 Scanner

Bent

Only Marble Sharp
NAXJA Member
I'm considering picking up a OBD1 + OBD2 scan tool but I have some questions. I have had an Innova OBD2 scanner for years and I'm familiar with its capabilities and the format of the data it provides. Among other things I get the code number and what it means, snapshot, emissions, etc.

What I don't know is how an OBD1 scanner would provide information when the vehicle has a check engine light on. I presume I could clear the code/turn the light off. Do the scanners provide codes? Only live data? Anything else? What would I expect? Are they best left to a real mechanic?

If I were to purchase one it would likely be another Innova; one of two better models I've been pricing.

Last edited:
Well, I found a great price on an INNOVA 3140g so I pulled the trigger. It ends up being an upgrade to my current scanner since it reads ABS and several other systems my 3100a wont. I've really been needing the ABS function...f'n Chevy!

We shall see...

Last edited:
What I don't know is how an OBD1 scanner would provide information when the vehicle has a check engine light on. I presume I could clear the code/turn the light off. Do the scanners provide codes? Only live data? Anything else? What would I expect? Are they best left to a real mechanic?

Provides code and description.

Yeah, and according to my scanner some offer "Mfg enhanced data", or something to that affect. It was a good purchase. Except for the seven ABS codes I pulled off the Colorado. With its history it's time to start hunting for a bad ground or two.

The nice scanners are pricey. Reason you need one for OBD1 is that while the ports are standard (mostly) the pinouts and codes are not. Have to have a database which houses the mess of different setups and that is why those nice scanners capable of doing both OBD1 and OBD2 are so darn pricey.

At the end of the day you do have a few options though. An MPGuino is a little arduino computer you can setup and then cable to your obd1 port. It will draw limited real time info though. It's really meant for people monitoring fuel economy. Alternately, you can always run a cable to a laptop or tablet and use software to decode what it's reading. Not sure if you can get that software free or not though.

Last option ... Gauges. They wont read codes but they give you real time monitoring of whatever you like and a little research will tell you exactly how to extract the most information from them. Oil pressure, oil pressure, trans temp, voltage, and vacuum can all be added.

I can't speak for the ones others have listed, but my Snapon MT2500 w/ the domestic till 96 main cartridge, ford/jeep/chevy/dodge secondary cartridge, JEEP-1 (RENIX), CHRY-1 (HO OBD1), CHRY-2 (HO OBD1 trans diagnostics), and GM-1/GM-2 cartridges has handled every 95/down Jeep and Chevy I've ever needed to work on. Shows codes and live data. I paid $100 with a boatload of adapters for mine at a swapmeet and have spent about 50 on other adapters and carts for it since then. I got one for $80 for GSequoia a while ago too.

Back