• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Would you rather mod a 2000XJ or a 99 XJ ?

jonathanc

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,

My 88 XJ was stolen tonight. I'm pretty sure that even if recovered, it will be written off.

So that has me in search of a new XJ. I'd like to get something as new as possible without being a headache to mod.

2000/2001:
Pros: distributorless ignition, lower mileage, less creeks/rattles and a nicer interior

Cons: Still somewhat pricey (atleast in Western Canada), Low Pinion standard cut D30.

So really, the real question is: Would you rather have a simpler cleaner more reliable spark system and be forced to swap a front diff or would you rather have a distributor, slightly more mileage and a better diff.

Future mods will be a RE 5.5 lift, SYE, 33x12.5" tires, aussie lockers front n rear and a D44.

If you can find a dana 44 for the rear you should have no problems finding a hp d30 for the front so I would not necessarily use that for a deciding factor, both "should" be geared anyways for 33" tires so it would not be too hard to swap front ends.

Were me I would buy the cheaper of the two(pending mechanical inspection) so you have more coin for mods:)
Good luck!
Hello,

My 88 XJ was stolen tonight. I'm pretty sure that even if recovered, it will be written off.

So that has me in search of a new XJ. I'd like to get something as new as possible without being a headache to mod.

2000/2001:
Pros: distributorless ignition, lower mileage, less creeks/rattles and a nicer interior

Cons: Still somewhat pricey (atleast in Western Canada), Low Pinion standard cut D30.

So really, the real question is: Would you rather have a simpler cleaner more reliable spark system and be forced to swap a front diff or would you rather have a distributor, slightly more mileage and a better diff.

Future mods will be a RE 5.5 lift, SYE, 33x12.5" tires, aussie lockers front n rear and a D44.

I'd go with the 99

Hello,

2000/2001:

crappy about the lost xj, wasn't there head problems somewhere in those years? I could not find a reasonably priced d44 for mine, cheapest rang in at $850, so dont limit yourself to the 44, I went with an 8.8.

Yeah. I thought newer was better too, so I got a 2000. Now I read about the 0331 head castings cracking. Not sure of the years before that head, but it is covered by many threads here. And yeah, mine has a little bit of milky stuff in the valve cover now??????????

Sorry about your 88. Hard to figure who the hell would steal an older vehicle like an XJ. And in Canada yet.

Why not find a 2000or20001 XJ with the 8.25 rear. Then just do lock out hubs, crome alloy shafts and a locker for the D30 LP. This way you would not need to worry about vibes. If you break the ring gear on the LP30 just buy a HP30 and everything in your LPD30 will swap over to the HP30.

As far as I know, the locker wouldn't switch from low to high pinion. I may be wrong.
99 vs 00? Interior is the same, it would basically just be price. I'd probably go with the 99 as it'd probably be cheaper and the 00 doesn't really have any large benefits outside of distributorless ignition. And that can be negated by sealing your distributor.

The locker is the same, the gears are the only difference.

The 99's are in my opinion the best year for the newer XJ's. They have a HP axle, and do not come with the 0331 head, and the nice interior.

to be honest, id just find the newest XJ you can and the least amount of miles and build from there. i like my 01 a lot, and i swapped in a HP D30 and it was no big deal. the 0331 head cracking is not as big of an issue as most make it out to be. just take care of your jeep and you will be just fine.

It all comes down to cost and reliability IMO. If you had a choice, and you may not, go for the lowest miles and best condition. Head fixing, axle swapping, parts changing, it all washes out evenly, I'm sure.

Every day there is at least one less XJ on the road to pick from. We are in a dying club, so whatever you do, fix it up and keep it on the road as long as possible to extend NAXJA and the XJ heritage.

Last edited:
I agree with Darky...go with the 99. There probably isn't a real advantage to going with the 2000 over the 99. To me, the new ignition system is a disadvantage because of what is available in junkyards. Plus you stay away from that head that there is a known issue with. I'd say just go with a 98 but HP D30s are easy to come up with and easy to swap over to the 99.

99 all the way... Us Carolina boys love our 99's...

And bruce... the 99's came with hp 30's, you tard.... and 1/3rd of the 00's even

99 all the way... Us Carolina boys love our 99's...

And bruce... the 99's came with hp 30's, you tard.... and 1/3rd of the 00's even

Well, hello to you too! Good to see you haven't been eaten by a bear or something.

That's right...I didn't think about that, I was going with what someone else said earlier. I guess that shows me.

Oh yeah, and you're not a "Carolina boy" anymore...you're in Alaska...you tard.

Thanks for the suggestions. For whatever reason, im not getting email notification so I didn't check the thread until now.

On an unrelated note, I can't decide whether to get the long arm kit or the normal kit. Also trying to decide between the rusty's 6.5" lift or the Rubicon Express 5.5"

Since im more than likely going from the 2door to the 4door XJ, The 4.5" lift probably wont cut it, as the wheelbase is longer. I'd really like a 6.5" kit just so I can run 35's if I ever decide to.

Does the rusty's long arm kit have those hangy down bits to catch on stuff like the RE kit does ? Other than a SYE and shaft, what other mods will I need to do to take advatage of that lift (and travel assuming I go long arm) ?

Thanks for the suggestions. For whatever reason, im not getting email notification so I didn't check the thread until now.

On an unrelated note, I can't decide whether to get the long arm kit or the normal kit. Also trying to decide between the rusty's 6.5" lift or the Rubicon Express 5.5"

Since im more than likely going from the 2door to the 4door XJ, The 4.5" lift probably wont cut it, as the wheelbase is longer. I'd really like a 6.5" kit just so I can run 35's if I ever decide to.

Does the rusty's long arm kit have those hangy down bits to catch on stuff like the RE kit does ? Other than a SYE and shaft, what other mods will I need to do to take advatage of that lift (and travel assuming I go long arm) ?

Wrong, Wheelbase on a 2dr and 4dr is the same. Get the RE kit, they sit higher then marketed. And get a long arm if its a DD, long arms right nice. You can run 35's on a 4.5 and bigger lift without much trouble, just trim and bumpstop. 35's on a 5.5 kit is fairly comon.

~Scott

99 and just leave the 8.25 29 spline. With all the parts out for them now you should not need to remove it. I think one would be fine with 4.88's and some after market axles with 35's

I got the 99 I'm never going over 31" tires But I am going to upgrade the axle shafts install 4.10's (maybe) 4.56's and a locker to run out in the sand dunes just to be sure I can drive 200 miles home.

I got the 99 I'm never going over 31" tires But I am going to upgrade the axle shafts install 4.10's (maybe) 4.56's and a locker to run out in the sand dunes just to be sure I can drive 200 miles home.

Famous last words. I have 31's and just installed arb's and 4.11's and already thinking about 33's. :gee:

Last edited:
Back